What are the actual hardware changes to the new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bpetruzzo, Jun 8, 2009.

1. bpetruzzo macrumors regular

I have the 15" unibody which I'm happy with. Of course, I'm envious of the refresh. But what I'm wondering are the real hardware limitations of the current notebook. Namely RAM. With Snow Leopard supporting a theoretically huge amount of RAM, is my hardware limited to the 4GB, or will Snow Leopard let me upgrade to 8GB? Or will I have to upgrade to the new body?

I mean, the screen is great and the battery life is awfully tempting, but practically speaking, upgradability is a lot more important. So the RAM is kind of the deal breaker. Do I need to upgrade or can I just wait for Snow Leopard to come out and run and update my software?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

We have no idea if you "need" to upgrade your RAM. How much do you have now? What do you use your machine for?

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

here is arn's live update. should tell you everything you need to know.

Attached Files:

4. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

No, I don't need to yet. I have 4GB. I'm more concerned about a year or two from now when I won't be able to get nearly as much for my current computer. I'd rather a $500 - $600 upgrade now that sets me for 4 or 5 years than waiting a year and needing more RAM but not being able to upgrade without dropping another $2300.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's not official yet or there is no news on it but seeing how the 13" "MacBook Pro" can support 8GB, I don't see how Apple won't allow the original unibody buyers to have support of 8GB.

6. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

My question is actually less about the new Notebooks and more about my current one. I have the original 15" unibody. Does the new Macbook and the Old Macbook share the same logic board? I really just want to know if my current hardware will support more RAM once I upgrade to Snow Leopard, or do I need the new Macbook?

If I need the new one, I'll just upgrade ASAP because my current computer is depreciating by the second.

7. delude macrumors 6502

I'm interested too, but so angry that we are limited to 4gb or 6gb, whatever it is. I would be happy if this could support 8.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i think that was the problem the original uni MB and MBP's didnt support 8GB and when the 17" came and the speed bump for the 15" they started using the logic board that supported 8GB.

9. kidtronix macrumors regular

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

what is that in reference to? are you made that they didnt upgrade to nehalem or something?:confused:

11. Ploki macrumors 68000

it has an updated logicboard!
    the slots on the left side are completely scattered compared to previous one.

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

which laptop are you labeling as "it"?!

13. Ploki macrumors 68000

15"er ! (WWDC)
    it has different port and connection layout that mine late 08 :)
    audio jacks, usb/miniDV and SD is between audio and usb, whereas Expresscard was the last on the 08 (and early 09)

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oh well i was talking about bpetruzzo's post. he has the original uni.

15. Ploki macrumors 68000

yeah so do I. and as far as ive read, 2.53 models dont support 8gigs of ram...
    while the new ones officially do.
    i dont mind , cause i have the desktop for heavy duty machinery. :)

they have rearrange the logicboard, but that has nothing to do with ram limit, 2.66 model supports it.

16. TheMonkeyMan macrumors newbie

Why Oh Why Oh Why did they half the 2.53Ghz to just 3mb Cache?

WHY?!

I was about to buy one, then I read the specs and it's halved - I mean seriously.

They never just update things without any cons do they?

17. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ok i got a little confused there sorry. what i was saying is the originals (oct 08 uni's) didnt have a logic board that's firmware supported 8GB. but when the 17" came along with the 15" 2.66 and 2.93 their logic boards supported it. and now the new new uMBP's support it as well of course. i dont think it has anything to do with the layout tho.

18. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so does that mean I just need to update firmware and I'll be able to support 8GB of RAM, or do I have to upgrade?

19. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i dont know if it is available yet or that it ever will be im sorry to say. that is just my feeling with the release of SL and all the other uMPP's getting the 8GB option.