Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hartwig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
I have a Mid-2010 MBP with freshly installed ML GM on a freshly installed Samsung 830 SSD

I noticed TRIM is disabled, should it be enabled?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I just enabled TRIM after 2 months of no TRIM on a Sammy 830 256GB.

The Trim helped make the system faster.

I think TRIM is essential for the Sammy. From my experience, I deal with a lot of files, especially smaller ones. I delete and add new ones all the time, sometimes really big files (like 15GB).

I would enable it after a while if you see your performance being degraded.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I have a Mid-2010 MBP with freshly installed ML GM on a freshly installed Samsung 830 SSD

I noticed TRIM is disabled, should it be enabled?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

Advantages:

1. The OS tells the SSD when to clean up blocks, this helps with the slow down of SSDs over time. This really the core idea behind TRIM.

2. Since you installed an 830. That is on of the best drives to enable TRIM on, since Apple uses 830 based drives as well.

Disadvantages:

1. Not directly supported by Apple on 3rd part devices, meaning you may need to re-enable after updates and OS upgrades.

2. Nobody to date has proven that it does not cause long term damage. The underlying assumption is that Apple is using the standard TRIM command that everyone uses and thus it can't harm anything. (This is a less of a concern given point 2 above).

hartwig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Advantages:

1. The OS tells the SSD when to clean up blocks, this helps with the slow down of SSDs over time. This really the core idea behind TRIM.

2. Since you installed an 830. That is on of the best drives to enable TRIM on, since Apple uses 830 based drives as well.

Disadvantages:

1. Not directly supported by Apple on 3rd part devices, meaning you may need to re-enable after updates and OS upgrades.

2. Nobody to date has proven that it does not cause long term damage. The underlying assumption is that Apple is using the standard TRIM command that everyone uses and thus it can't harm anything. (This is a less of a concern given point 2 above).

Excellent response, just what I was looking for :)

Can you or anybody walk me through on how to enable TRIM?

Thanks

hartwig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Download Trim Enabler and enable it through the application, then restart :)

Check in System Info to see if it's enabled.

Perfect, I installed it and I rebooted and I noticed right away the reboot was way quicker than what I was experiencing earlier today!!!

:D

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Perfect, I installed it and I rebooted and I noticed right away the reboot was way quicker than what I was experiencing earlier today!!!

:D

Give it some time and it will speed things up :)

I was without trim for 2 months and noticed slowdowns, now TRIM helped.

Apple uses the Samsung 830 (although rebranded and under OEM status) in the new rMBP and TRIM is on by default. I trust Apple's decision to enable TRIM on these drives, so that was the reason I went with TRIM.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
I am about to install a Samsung 830 SSD in my MacBook Pro (mid-2007). I am also running Windows 7 in bootcamp. I cloned my Lion partition to the SSD, now I just need to crack open my laptop and replace the drive. I also need to reinstall bootcamp/Win7.

Questions. Do I enable TRIM right away in OSX? Ive read that when installing Win7, TRIM is automatically enabled by Windows, is this true? Last, how exactly does TRIM work if you havent had it on for awhile? Say its not on and you delete about 1k files. During that time, the OS doesnt tell the SSD the files were deleted since TRIM wasnt on. Now you turn TRIM on, how does the SSD drive know about those files that were deleted in the past?

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Hartwig, since the Samsung 830 drive is a 7mm slim drive, does it need an adapter to fit in the MBP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.