What are the benefits...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mvaj92, Feb 4, 2008.

1. mvaj92 macrumors member

... of having a macbook?

I've been looking into macbooks lately, and wanted to know what are some of the best things about it, and what would be improved in my case. Right now i have an 2002 dell computer, with these system specs:
    Dell Dimension 4400
    Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz
    Cd Burner (Doesn't Play Dvd's)
    Usb 1.1 ports (4)
    Usb 2.0 ports (4) (Upgrade)
    Windows Home Edition, Service Pack 2
    20 Gig HDD, with 250 Gig external. (Ran out of room lol)
    Originally had a 16mb AGP video card, but upgraded to a 128Mb card.
    768MB Ram. (512MB added) Maxes out at 1 GB

Finding that the computer stutters often, as many new applications are more Processor intensive than the applications that existed six years ago.

So would a macbook help my situation? Any help is great, thanks.

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

For you...the MacBook would be like a rocket. The best thing about Macs (MB and MBP) is the look, battery life, and of course the OS

If you compare your Dell to the MacBook, I am sure you will see the difference.

The battery life on Macs is pretty good...4-5 hours is pretty good for laptops.

Mac OS X is great. It is fast and great.

So for you, I think upgrading to a MB will be a huge difference.

3. mvaj92 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, thats what i was hoping to hear. Also, can the macbook handle light gaming, say for instance, ocasionally playing Counter-Strike: Source?

4. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

You will LOVE the MacBook. And it can totally handle gaming.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Gaming should be OK on the MacBook. I would assume that you play it on Windows through Bootcamp?

In this case...I would highly recommend you upgrade your RAM to 4GB. Since the MB has a integrated GPU, it steals its memory from the computers main memory. So having more memory will be perfect for you.

6. mvaj92 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I would be running it from boot camp. I would probably be upgrading the memory, as everyone at this forum says its pretty easy ;)

Thanks!

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yeah installing memory is very easy. That should be no problem. Just take your time and follow the directions if you don't know what your doing.

For upgrading memory I would suggest buying from OWC (www.macsales.com) and Crucial RAM which you can buy from www.newegg.com.

Hope this helps.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

A MacBook starts up and is ready to go in less than 15 seconds. It shuts down in less than 5 seconds. There is no virus software or other programs you don't need that bog down your resources. It's more stable than Windows. The battery actually lasts for over five hours. The MacBook itself is built so strong and sturdy you'll blink twice when you get it.

This is from a PC user, still am, since the early 90s.

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Just keep in mind that MacBook comes with an integrated graphics card. The MacBook Pro does not, that one comes with a GeForce. Big difference when it comes to gaming :) Though, I do most of my gaming on my PC desktop.