What are the best accessories to get for a macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by olliestockton, Apr 6, 2008.

1. olliestockton macrumors member

I am getting a macbook, but i was wondering what accessories would come in handy, so what accessories would you recommend to get apart from keyboard/mouse?

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

a case? ;)

or a usb hub
    an extra power brick
    speakers
    maybe a monitor

btw:Congrats on your Purchase!

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

4. olliestockton thread starter macrumors member

why would i need a case? it will just be a personal laptop around the home...

i would love an ipod touch but i already have an ipod nano remastered :p

5. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

well you never said that your were only going to use it around the house, so I just assumed since your getting a laptop, you might want a case

6. olliestockton thread starter macrumors member

my reply came across wrong, i meant i will have it around the house a lot so would there really be any need for a case? soz lol

7. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

If you'll ever take it out, buy yourself a case. Speakers, too, if you'll be listening to music on it. That's about it, I reckon.

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

For around the house, no. But if you ever plan on taking it out, a sleeve is nice to have. Incase makes a nice neoprene sleeve.

I also have an extra adapter. One is plugged in permanently by my computer desk, the other is the one I use when I go to work, or on vacation. That way I don't have to be crawling under my desk every time I need to use the adapter.

9. joelm1988 macrumors member

What spec MB are you getting? Maybe extra ram could come in handy. Depending what you need your new laptop to do.

10. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Because of its relatively small screen and resolution, I live and die by my external monitor setup at home (monitor, kb, mouse).

And if its considered an accessory, I'll second the ram.

11. olliestockton thread starter macrumors member

Ok i just bought a sleeve online so that should be here by the time my macbook is! I'm so excited to get it, it will be my first ever mac, and it will be my first laptop that isnt black and silver lol

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Do you have a WiFi network set up in your house already? You may want to purchase an external drive for backups or a Time Capsule if you have no WiFi router at the moment.

13. olliestockton thread starter macrumors member

I have wireless internet yes.

I thought the mac has some time capsule thing on it which backs it up?

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It has the software called Time Machine but you will need to purchase an external drive to back it up to. I would suggest something about 1.5X or greater than your drive on the MacBook. External drives are fairly cheap today and you could get a decent 500GB one for less than $150.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Magasin chopping board.

The larger for your MacBook (to put on sofas, beds, your lap or other soft(ish) surfaces), the smaller for an external mouse or something (you could even use that one as a - wait for it - chopping board ;)). It even has handles to make it easier to move your MacBook around the house. At $4.99 its a bargain. :)

16. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Do you consider RAM an accessory? Maxxing out my RAM was probably the first thing I did.

17. olliestockton thread starter macrumors member

As much as i would love a chopping board i think i will pass on that idea :rolleyes:

18. wedge234 macrumors member

I recommend a marware wrist pad and an iklear kit. Your wrists will thank you if you use your mac without any extra accessories, and it's better on the screen since the computer will close more gently. The iklear is good if you get any dust on your machine and you need to clean it up, since it's the best stuff you can use.

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Your choice, but it does fit nicely underneath the MB when it's sitting on my sofa keeping the MB nice, level and cooled:

06042008.jpg
    Crappy phone image, but you can see the Magasin under the MB

;)

20. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

i second that, i waiting to buy speakers myself.
    there really nice for watching movies on your macbook with multiple people. because the speakers really arn't that loud

21. olliestockton thread starter macrumors member

thanks for taking a pic :)

i see it does seem quite good, and yes i suppose it would keep it nice and level and cooled, i might get one, not straight away because when i open my beautiful mac i won't be thinking about how level or warm it is :p

maybe after a bit