What are the best and safe hiding spots for a covered ipad2 ?.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tips, Dec 7, 2011.

1. tips macrumors member

Hello,

What are the safe hiding spots that you use to hide ipad from kids ranging from 2-10 but should be conveniently accessible when you need instantly ?.

So far I have been using underneath sofa, but 2year olds are smart to figure that out :). :(

2. Captjlucpicard macrumors newbie

Unless you have freakishly tall kids, maybe you want to put it on top of your fridge?

3. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

a cabinet with a lock..and a key..hiding is not going to work.

5. tips thread starter macrumors member

'Discipline' for 2year old !, Difficult to achieve.

6. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I'd say a file cabinet/drawer, sandwiched by a ton of mail, bills, and paperwork.

7. wpotere Guest

Actually it isn't and a great time for them to learn and understand it. ;)

8. rhp2424 macrumors regular

rhp2424

How about in the same place that you hide the poisons? ;)

Seriously though, I used to keep those kind of things on top of the computer hutch or when that wasn't tall enough I started using the top shelf of a very tall bookshelf.

9. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Most of the broken iPad stories I've seen have been other adults knocking the iPad out of the hiding place. Top of the fridge for sure has been the #1 accident site, I've seen a few of those on different forums. Adult puts iPad in place another adult can reach but can't see easily, other adult tries to interact with some other object in the hiding place (sliding out a cookbook was one I remember) and the iPad springs out of nowhere onto the floor.

Just be careful you don't accidentally booby trap someone in an attempt to keep it from the kids.

10. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Another vote for discipline, but, if that isn't an option, put it in a drawer with a child-proof lock or a key lock, isn't that hard to open a lock or child-lock and that way it is defended from mishaps and spills too.

11. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Top-shelf works great! My 17-month old niece knows not to touch my stuff, so, discipline works as well. :)

12. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    With a two year old around, surely you must have places that have been kid-proofed, so that would be the first choice (i.e. certain kitchen cupboards/drawers).

If not, get yourself a nice padded sling bag for your iPad and hang it deep in your closet out of the reach of the two-year old.

The older kids should know by now that one should always ask permission before taking/using someone else's stuff. You could always put a password on the iPad in case you think that temptation would overrule common sense. LOL, they'd probably leave their fingerprints all over the screen trying to get it to work.

13. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I use the microwave for a safe place to hide something. Works up until about 4 years old. To keep an older child away from something, you probably need a lock.

14. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Again, why booby trap your house for freaking adults? I can't tell you how many times I've put something in the microwave without consciously noticing the contents of said microwave. This is a bad suggestion in my opinion, put your crap in a drawer or solidly on a table like normal people.

Seriously? Did you just suggest iPad in the microwave...

15. donnaw macrumors 65816

Two year-olds are perfectly capable of learning not to touch. In fact this is the best age to teach 'don't touch' and 'Stop'. As I told my son when my grandson was about 2, 'at some point his life may depend on doing what you tell him immediately'. (such as STOP before he runs out into the street with an on-coming car.

Get a good case, leave it out, any time the kid reaches for it tell him NO and it won't take long before it sinks in.

16. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

17. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

It doesn't much matter where you put the iPad. Sooner or later they'll see it going in or coming out and then they'll try to get it later. If it is high up they might stack furniture to gain access and that could be dangerous. (My sister and I have experience at that from when we were little.)

If the discipline trick doesn't work then I vote for the locked drawer (cabinet, room, suitcase, etc.).

Be careful about hiding it between newspapers, magazines, etc. or it might be accidentally discarded.

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Saw that one coming....

19. pourme macrumors regular

pourme

Seriously?....You need a thread for this?.....

20. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

between pillow and sofa.

we have a 2-year old who likes his Elmo Letters Learning app and I can understand a temper-tantrum breakdown one might receive from the 2-year old and not using the iPad.

discipline sometimes only goes so far in the young mind.

21. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

How about in a case, and on a bookshelf they can't reach?

22. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

23. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

+9999

With the economy as it is, and people creating threads like they are just bits in cyberspace...

In all seriousness, hiding an iPad from your kids can't be that hard... i mean, I lose mine all the time in my room

24. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

25. urkel macrumors 68030

Ah, The wisdom of someone who doesn't have kids...

I've been there so I mean no offense, but kids nowadays are growing up so tech savvy and one of the reasons is because of how appealing tech is. I give my daughter tons of books and educational toys that she loves, but theres nothing she's more in love with than the iPad. So many times I'll put the iPad down to read a text on the iPhone and suddenly see my 16mo old run to the dark living room and then fire up an interactive book or a movie. I even hide apps in folders but she figured out how nested folders works so im being heavily challenged. :D

---------
    The problem is that once they know "where" it's hidden then their goal is "how" they're going to get it. And that usually involves them dismantling the contents of the bookcase or dangerously climbing it. :)