What are the best headphones for under $20?

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Truly good headphones are hard to find for less than $20, but more importantly, what kind of headphones do you want? In-ear? Ear-bud? Can? Noise-canceling?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
For cheap, replace every couple of years, matching iPod phones, if you like in-ears, my rec would be Griffin earthumps / eartunes / whatever they're called now. They're nothing amazing, but they work nicely, they look good, and they're very cheap. You can get them new, shipped, through eBay for about $14.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I've enjoyed my ~$10 Sony MDR-E828s for a long time..

They fit me well, but my wife doesn't like 'em.

B

&RU

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Thirdzies...

I think xUKHCx nailed it. I nabbed a pair of Koss KSC75's on sale when all the local Radio Shacks were layed to rest. I think I spent $7.99 CDN (around $7.25 USD or about 3 Quid). I can say with some confidence that they will best anything you can find up to the $40.00 mark.

In hind sight I should have cleaned the place out.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Refurb 512mb shuffle for 29.99. (when you can find them at apple store online)

Sell the shuffle for $32 on ebay minus phones.

Can't beat that, I did it twice to replace my headphones. :D

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Refurb 512mb shuffle for 29.99. (when you can find them at apple store online)

Sell the shuffle for $32 on ebay minus phones.

Can't beat that, I did it twice to replace my headphones. :D
Heh. A sneaky way to get new iPod buds. Never thought of that. :)

Quite frankly, I don't think the Apple buds are all that bad really for what they are. I actually think they're a bit more involving than my recently acquired set of used Shure E2Cs, provided you're sitting in a quiet room, that is.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Whoa, hooking those up to a shuffle would be crazy! people would see them and be like, why are they listening to headphones without anything attached?

I have to admit, when I work, I have been known for having my iPod buds in my ears without anything attached, just so I can ignore people. and catch them when they talk about me thinking I can't hear them :D

Oh yeah aquajet, I have two brand new pairs of iPod buds still in wraps, new style too, just waiting for when I get my cord caught in a polishing motor again. :)

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
Whoa, hooking those up to a shuffle would be crazy! people would see them and be like, why are they listening to headphones without anything attached?
I seem to have missed that it was going on a shuffle. :p But that hasn't stopped me! Hahaha.

I have to admit, when I work, I have been known for having my iPod buds in my ears without anything attached, just so I can ignore people. and catch them when they talk about me thinking I can't hear them :D
Me too :eek: