What are the Best Speakers for under $300

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bayDude101, May 16, 2008.

1. bayDude101 macrumors newbie

Hi all I have been browsing this site for a while now, and finally decided to make an account. I want to buy some new speakers for my macbook pro, so I was wondering what were the best ones I could get for under $300. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    baydude101

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Bose Companion 2 V2 Speakers

We have Bose Companion 2 V2 Speakers on all our machines in the office and love'm.

4. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

6. djkny macrumors 6502

The AudioEngine's in BAMBOO. Nothing compares.

7. bayDude101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I have heard some really good things about Klipsch speakers, has anybody had any experience with them?
    baydude101

8. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I haven't had a good listen to the Klipsch Computer speakers but I grew up around their high end stereo speakers and they were great. I just got my new speakers yesterday from musicians friend dot com. They are Alesis M1Active 320usb studio monitors( basicly made for desktop I think ). Regular $200, for $99 w/ free shipping. I got 2 yr replacement for $8. I really like the way they sound. Not just a pretty sound but a more accurate sound. They have plugs for 1/8, 1/4, RCA & USB. Volume control and 1/8 head phone plug on front.

9. DCSMAC macrumors member

harmon kardon sound sticks IIs are really really good, and can be had for only $102 on amazon.

10. salvatorereda macrumors member

11. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

You'll probably be extremely satisfied with a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.

No, they're not as high quality as reference speakers, but the fact that you're asking means they're more than enough for you.

12. SamNeeds macrumors regular

Whilst I'm here, what are the best 2.1 speakers? Don't mind about price.

13. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

Amen to that.. RP5's sound wonderful for their price.
    If you are looking to spend at least 300, buy a pair of accurate speakers.

I'm not sure how the Mackies sound.. but i've heard generally good things about them. It all comes down to your ears, clarity, and detail.

I was once in this situation.. the best 2.1 speakers i've come across are the Klipsch ProMedia speakers. However, I opted for the Rokit RP-5 reference monitors once they came down in price. I wouldn't spend that much money on computer speakers. If you have limited space, 2.1s might suit you more.

14. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I just bought the 2.1 ProMedia's to hook up to my TV (just through the headphone jack on the tv). They sound amazing.

15. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I have the Z-5500's and they are far from "Toys" I prefer the 5.1 surround that they offer to any of the stereo options offered.
    The speakers are very well made & the sound quality is excellent. Best bang for the buck.

16. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

2.1, 5.1, accurate monitor, There's a lot of different applications here. OP, you should definitely consider what you're going to mainly use them for. I clicked on those rockit-5 at guitar center. Those are sweet. I might would prefer those over my Alesis usb but I kinda jumped on mine for the features and looks. They match my stuff.

17. SamNeeds macrumors regular

I actually opted for the Logitech Gigaworks T40's. The reviews were very good and they fit the bill very well.

18. bayDude101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for all the replys. After doing a fair bit of reaserch based on the suggestions here i think I will get the KRK RP-5's, they really seem to be the best speakers for what I want.
    Thanks baydude101

19. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The KRKs are great speakers.

You're probably going to want something to control the volume with though (believe me, the OS X volume control won't do).

I'd recommend a small mixer, Behringer produce some models which are not much bigger than.

A Xenyx 502 should do the job. Connect the Mac into the 'CD/Tape In' and hit the 'CD/Tape Main' button, and the connect the KRKs to the 'Main Mix' output, run the volume control on the back of each speaker at 50%, use your Mac at it's full output and use the 'Main Mix' control on the Xenyx to control the volume.

Remember, always switch the speakers on last after everything else in the setup, otherwise you could get loud pops/buzzes etc...

20. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I think I'm going to buy the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks. Price looks good and they have great reviews.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Behringer Truth 2031A's

I tested them against the KRK's and the Mackie's and for the $300 range they are the best...

However...the Mackie 824's....while they are ummm...in another category...

22. bayDude101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, funny you mentioned that particular model of mixer, becuase that is the exact one I ordered with the RP-5's, so it looks like I made a good choice in that. Thanks for all the advice guys you have very helpful.

23. Shakko macrumors member

I own a set of the Klipsch pro media 2.1 and I have to say it is the best speaker set I've used for my computer. They are amazingly clear and can go pretty loud w/o distortion. The sub even comes with its own user replaceable fuse in case you bump it up too loud.

I haven't yet hooked it up to my computer, but I've been thinking about getting another set and hooking it up to my TV.

24. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Would the Klipsch pro media 2.1's be loud enough to fill my small apartment (just 1 large room)? I have the original Soundsticks and while they sound great, it just doesn't fill the room with clear sound like I would prefer.

Or am I better getting a cheap 200w receiver and bookshelf speakers.

25. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

Excellent advice. I'll never buy a set of "computer speakers" again unless it's for something I can carry around with the laptop. I got a set of the cheaper M-Audio monitors, and they are the best sounding speakers I've ever had on my desk. I've had the Klipsh 2.1's, and many Logitech models. Monitors are the best idea, hands down.