What are the bolts on the MacBook Pro Internal Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aesir911, Aug 14, 2010.

1. aesir911 macrumors member

I recently put a new internal hard drive in my macbook, but i need the bolts that help stable it. do you know what these screws/bolts are called and where i can purchase them? also, i tried using a t6 screwdriver to remove the same things off the hard drive that was originally in my computer, but they wouldn't budge. it was as if they were already stripped before i tried taking them off. is there a "safe" way to remove these with something else, because it doesn't fit in the enclosure i bought with those dumb bolts on it.

2. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Apple uses a small amount of blue loctite on each of those 4 bolts, making them difficult to remove the first time. If the t6 didn't work, you can use a pair of locking pliers (since it is already out of the computer.)

They look like this. Once you get a bolt to budge loose, go back to using the t6 screwdriver.
    [​IMG]

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

are they the hdd bracket bolts or the harness ones? The bracket bolts (the one that secure a black plastic piece you need to remove before accessing the hdd) are phillips heads that I have stripped as well. The 4 bolts that secure the harness to the hdd are t6 screws and yea, just use some needle nose pliers

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

i just used a pair of regular pliers. The bolts have never been that tight.

5. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

rather than pull things with pliers if your screws are stuck, heat their heads for a while with a soldering iron.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Why would you pull? I would grip the head with pliers and twist left

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I got it but I'd rather not hit something nearby with the pliers.

Well whatever works.

8. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

You don't "pull" anything. Simply lock the pliers on the bolt head and turn counter-clockwise. Isn't hard, and heating shouldn't be required as it's only a small amount of blue locktite on each bolt.

I'm not even sure why Apple sees a need to use torx bolts anyway. Why not use allen head bolts instead. Much more common.

9. aesir911 thread starter macrumors member

umm... i rather not risk burning my hard drive. does anyone know what these are called? just some kinda t6 bolt? would i be able to buy 4 of them at home depot or ace hardware?

10. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Most mobile phones use torx t6 as well. It's a common bolt in electronics.

11. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

The drive is out of the computer already. What are you going to hit? Not like you are removing rusted brake calipers off a car and slamming your knuckles trying to loosen the bolts.

The bolts on the HDD require very little effort to remove.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Slightly related to the OP's request is where can you get these bolts?

I am looking for a hdd bracket bolt as well as the lower outside case screws (the ones that attach the rubber bottom) for the unibody plastic macbooks

OP: I know you can get some at ifixit or an apple authorized reseller like the macshack but they seem kinda pricy when I believe it is a generic part that can be picked up for a few cents on the dollar
    http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Screw-Set/IF163-016

and

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Hard-Drive-Bracket/IF163-010

Brose that site, though it is kinda pricy

13. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Where to find the bolts? If you are in the U.S., I would recommend trying Home Depot. Hard to say if they have anything that small, but check the nut and bolt isle.

Otherwise, try e-bay.

14. aesir911 thread starter macrumors member

thank you so much for your help. the pliers worked great (although it was an absolute pain to put them onto the new hard drive). luckily i didn't have to buy new ones!

15. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

yea xbox360 controllers use some sort of torx screws too. but i can just use a really little flathead and that works for me.

16. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Torx bolts are specifically designed for use with automatic screw tightening machines. They transfer torque more efficiently, which allows the precise electronics of the machine to tighten the screws perfectly every time.

17. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Eek don't use pliers or vice grips!

Use the correct torx screwdriver and slowly turn it right and left until it breaks the seal.

18. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

that is the best tool ever.

19. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

#6 torx.

http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/guides/hw/mbpro/mbphd/