What are the BTO options for Apple retail stores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EricVT, Feb 27, 2008.

1. EricVT macrumors member

Could I walk into an Apple retail store and buy a 17" MBP with:

-High-res LED glossy screen
    -2.5GhZ CPU
    -200GB 7200 HDD

Or will they only carry the 3 standard models?

Also, what do I need to have with me to claim an education discount? Can I get the education discount at an Apple store that is in a different city than my University?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Traditionally, they have a limited stock of BTO systems on hand, if any. Usually they only allow you to upgrade the memory and HD at the store. Check the Store's online store to see what they might have in stock, or call them.

As for the educational discount, just your student ID should be all that is needed. They have a database with different schools and what their discount is (some are greater than others).

TEG

3. EricVT thread starter macrumors member

How do I check their inventory online? I go to the nearest Apple Store's website and it seems like it navigates just like the online Apple Store...lets me customize my computer and all that. Do the "shipping dates" give the time it would take for the store to receive what I want or is that shipping date to my house from the manufacturer?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The local Apple Store site used to allow you to see if you could pick it up in the store (like Best Buy) but it looks like you can't anymore. I'd call them and ask them if you can get a system like that from them or if you should just order online.

TEG

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I went into the Apple store Bullring UK today and they said that no BTO options were available - I only asked for the 200GB 7200RPM drive to be fitted. Have to wait for an online order to arrive now :(

6. surf2snow1 macrumors regular

I second this...went to manhattan beach, no hard drive upgrades. Was looking to get 15" with 250GB, but only the baseline.