What are the chances of getting a dead pixel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macgrl, Oct 19, 2008.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

Good afternoon,

I have order a new macbook pro but am getting a little worried that it may have dead pixels as a few people seem to have mentioned getting them. Are they susceptable to getting them. If I am paying nearly £2000 for a notebook I want it to arrive with any problems.

Thanks

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well the MacBook Pro has 1440 x 900 = 1296000 pixels so its not rare to get a dead/stuck pixel.i think Apple will only replace it if there are many or them (not sure on the number) or in a cluster.

my MacBook Pro has one stuck pixel and my Cinema Display with 2304000 pixels is perfect.

3. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

I have never had a dead pixel before. How big are they and are they really that noticeable?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

mine is a stuck pixel which either gets stuck in red, blue or green and a dead pixel is just black. when you first notice them you are distraught! :( but then after a while you forget they are there. :p

5. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

7. eddy64 macrumors regular

How do they fix dead pixels? Do they replace the entire laptop or just the screen?

8. kis macrumors 65816

depends - if it's within the 14 day return period and it has too many dead pixels for their specfications, they'll replace the computer. After that, they'll probably exchange the screen.

9. EngenZerO macrumors regular

i would say slim...

one of my sisters has a dell, the other sister a gateway,my gf use to have a gateway laptop, and both my gf and i have dell work laptops. none of them have dead pixels.

my first mbp yesterday had a dead pixel and i exchanged it for one that had no dead pixels. so i would say its rare to get a dead pixel... it happens but i wouldn't be to worried about it.

10. Rilely macrumors member

My first MacBook Pro (and first Apple product) had a hot pixel and it drove me nuts. I paid so much money for that laptop and then it was flawed. If I get another pixel problem this time around, I swear to god I will go ape s&7t. Apple wouldn't replace it last time and I just got a BTO MBP this time, so I doubt they'll let me return it.

I am already distressed and I haven't even received my new computer. I DO NOT WANT ANY DEAD PIXELS! That shouldn't be so much to ask.

11. brentsg macrumors 68030

Asus is now providing a guarantee that their laptops will have zero "hot" or stuck pixels. They don't guarantee against a single dead one but at least it's something.

Heck, they also warranty against accidental damage for 1 year as well so in general their warranty is nice.