What Are The Chances of Getting a Perfect iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Oct 16, 2008.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i wanna go get a new one, because i have a light leak on mine, but im not sure if the chances of getting a worse one are still high, because i would assume by now the builds are better. what you think?

2. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

My 3G is perfect. But I guess the view of perfection maybe different for each user.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

There are *literally* those on this forum that use a microscope to examine their iphones. If you're one of those--there is zero chance you'll get a perfect one.

4. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

5. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

A light leak is a legitimate reason to get a replacement. How big is the leak? I returned mine because of light leak and they gave me a new one that had a ****** ringer switch so I asked the Genius to replace that one as well and she did (not easily though) and now mine is 95% perfect, I have a VERY tiny leak, more like a dot. 4th iPhone ftw.

I'll just say that you will most likely get a refurb, all my replacements have been refurbs so far. The Genius's deny that they are, but they've all had someone else's iTunes account in it, usages times, and 5K serial numbers.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I went through for returns and tried 2 others during the 4th return before I found my idea of a perfect iPhone.

I'm happy.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

LAAWWLLLLL

8. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Odds that the Rays would win the World Series in April: 1/80

Chances you will get a "perfect iPhone": greater than that

Miracles do happen, apparently. Shoulda put $100 on the Rays, would have turned it into $8,000. Damn.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

"I said I wish I could go back to the beginning of the season, put some money on the Cubbies! "

[​IMG]

10. Bankerts macrumors member

Rays haven't won anything yet :confused:

11. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

200% chance
    100% perfect 2g iPhone
    100% perfect 3g iPhone

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hah! Yeah right.

13. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

And my front facing video camera works a treat for my video calls.:D

Seriously though my phone was 100% out of the box, as was my sister-in-laws, as were two of my friends’ iPhones. Maybe the stock coming to New Zealand is better?

(Can't say the same for two of the new Apple computers I've bought recently, but that's for a different thread)

14. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm happy with my 100% results... I bought a first generation 8GB, had no problems. Then I bought the White 3G and have not had a single problem. From some of the things I hear, I consider myself extremely lucky. I will keep on buying if it continues this way.

15. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

16. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

?
    It happens from time to time, even for :apple:
    Now if I could only remember the marketing quote;
    1 Happy customer will tell 2 people they are happy, 1 unhappy customer will tell 10 people they are unhappy.

Forums will back that up :D

17. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

i went to the store, but all the technicians had appointments. i thought it would take a second.I gave them the excuse that it randomly restarted and i did a restore and have new firmware, but nothing worked, but either way. i think its a sign im supposed to stay with the phone i have. for a little light leak its not worth it, to get: dead pixels, more light leak, cracks and etc.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wow. Here's what you do.

Go online and setup a Genius Bar appointment: http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Walk in, sit down at the Genius Bar and politely tell them that there is light from the backlight leaking through the rubber seal on the side due to the seal not seated properly. They might take your iPhone in the back and check it. Just wait patiently and when they come back, just tell them it really bothers you because you use your iPhone mostly at night and notice the light leak really bad.

When the Genius hands you the refurb ask if you can look at it first... they usually have no problem with this. Do some tests, look it over very carefully and check for wobbly buttons, rough edges, misalignments and any other imperfection before accepting the new iPhone. They may even let you take it into the bathroom to look for light leaks (they let me).

If you do find something wrong with the refurb, just show them the problem and ask if you can try another. My Genius guy was very helpful and patient with me. I tried 3 iPhones during the return of my 4th iPhone 3G and I finally found one I liked on the 3rd try. The second iPhone he let me look at had major light leakage out the left side and I brought it back and told him this and he actually set it aside and said "I'll set this aside so that it doesn't get given to someone else"... what a nice guy.

I think you should return your iPhone and if you do what I say here, they should be able to help you out. People at the Apple Store are usually pretty friendly... if they give you a hard time, just tell them that it's not acceptable from a $500 phone and that you are not happy with it.

Good luck my friend and I hope you find your perfect iPhone 3G just like I did. Don't just try and live with the problems and try to forget about them... just return it.... you'll feel better about it. Take it from me.

19. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

They have the pitching, they'll beat Beckett tonight at home, then move on and beat the Phils. My post was definitely premature, but you've still got a better shot to get a perfect iPhone.