What are the chances that Apple will start bricking Jailbroken phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonynz, Nov 13, 2009.

1. tonynz macrumors member

Hi guys,

What are the chances that Apple will follow what Microsoft is doing and start to brick jailbroken phones via itunes via serial numbers.

Surely it won't be hard!

2. kzoojason76 macrumors member

Just like all things in the world... the changes are 50/50. Either they will or they won't.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

If they love watching their stock fall, and customers start twitter petitions/ start contacting attorneys, they'll be sure to do just this.

4. kroeks macrumors regular

I'm sure they won't
    they're getting massive profit with the apps they sell via iTunes.
    Or wait..

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Apple is not within their right to damage a device like that. They'll be in a world of hurt if they do. And online petitions are ridiculous … twitter petitions are just downright stupid.

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

The twitter petition remark was sarcasm. I hope you know that. :)

7. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

you must be fun at a dinner party

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Tbh they could legally do that with ease but tbh they have no reason too. Look at it this way unit sales and iTune sales are high regardless of the jailbroken iPhones out there. Jailbreakers will still buy a new iPhone so what is the difference.

They will do the same as microflop. Every software update they kick out it'll block the jailbreak. Why do anything else. If there not willing to track stolen iPhones etc why would they bother to much with a small percentage of jb'rs

9. kzoojason76 macrumors member

Nobody could possibly quantify an answer for that question. No one can say there will be a 35% chance, or a 70% chance. The only "correct" answer would be 50/50. Either it will happen, or it won't.

Wasn't trying to make a joke about it, but I guess I can see the humor in it.

10. tonynz thread starter macrumors member

I am sure this what everyone would've said before Microsoft started bricking Xboxes.

I am also certain that it's in Apple's EULA to restrict people from modifying their iphones

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Yeah, but it is their own security flaw that allows JBing. That, and the customer already bought the phone. You cant restrict access to it because of a security flaw in your own system.

12. tonynz thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't the DVD drive flaw be a security flaw too?

(I believe that's your how chip the Xbox... I dont know - I own a PS3).

13. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

But you OWN the equipment, not Apple. Microsoft did it because the only reason people were hacking their xbox's were to play downloaded games. There are a lot of jailbreakers out there that just want the ringtones, SBS settings, and themes. Something Apple should already have on the phone!!

Anyway, I see Apple in a world of hurt if they try to do this. Just my opinion though.

14. tonynz thread starter macrumors member

I would see them in a world of pain, law suits and boycotting if they started to blocked the units too....

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Your logic is flawed. Just because an event has a binary outcome does not mean that each outcome is equally likely. The odds may be unknowable, but that does not mean they are even. Let's take an absurd example; what are the chances that the United States will invade Canada? According to your logic, the odds are 50-50; either it will or it won't. Surely you will admit that the odds are actually far lower than that?

16. tonynz thread starter macrumors member

Agreed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-tailed_test

17. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Microsoft is not bricking the xbox. Just blocking online service. Apple could do the same and block it from itunes and updates. I'm sure they have thought of it. :eek:

18. nyisles84 macrumors regular

the second that happens is the second I go to Android. I love my JB iPhone, if i can't have Sbsetting and a little customization in a theme, or a nice feature of being able to answer a text without closing out and app, or the simple nature of having apps run in the backround, then I'd see no point

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

20. tonynz thread starter macrumors member

His assumption would fit into the two-tailed test, in which does not apply to the current situation.

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm sure Apple could figure out a way to make you restore your iPhone to a legit firmware right?

Also, haven't Apple bricked unlocked iPhones in the past? I remember this happening to a bunch of original iPhone owners.

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I think you misunderstand the two-tailed test. kzoojason76 is very wrong in his conclusion, but not due to improper application of the two-tailed test.

23. tonynz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - maybe I need to go back to my university stats books.... :)

24. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Haha, this whole thread (except for one person) has no clue what is even going on.

M$ has not bricked anything. As stated they are only blocking Modded Xboxes from Xbox Live. That's all. They can still operate just fine but are just denied service.

Apple will not deny Jailbreakers access to the app store though, or rather they shouldn't. If they did I know a lot of jailbreakers who now happily pay for App Store apps will likely resort to Piracy if that is their ONLY means of obtaining apps.

Also, it's not the same. M$ subsidised the Xbox 360 significantly assuming they'd bring in money in game sales. This is not the case with Apple. Also, the primary reason for M$ blocking Modded consoles is to prevent cheating.