Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevin4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Apple Phone, or maybe not the next one but in the future.

Jodeo

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
I think it will happen... the "i" is going to become passe, and dropping it adds a sense of newness to Apple's line that has been too "i" heavy all these years. They couldn't do iTV or iWatch so they dropped it, and they dropped "iBook" a LONG time ago. So why not?

Apple Phone, Apple Pad, Apple Pod, etc. all work fine. Though the iPod's days are numbered, I believe. The last refresh is probably the last. Phone prices are going to come down further.

As for the iMac, I can see it branching into two lines:

Apple Macintosh: 20" & 24" iMacs with HD or fusion drive, maybe a retina-esque, priced from $999 (or even $899). Available in aluminum.
Apple Mac Cinema: 24" & 27" 5K iMacs with upgradeable SSDs and add'l ports. Priced from $1799. I think a 32" model would be nice to have, too. Available in space grey, silver, and gold (int'l markets may like that. Who knows.)

That keeps the Mac Mini at the low end and the Mac Pro at the top. "Cinema" was the moniker for the monitor line before it was rebranded to Thunderbolt Display, so it's worth considering

Since Apple is much less reliant on their Macs for revenues, they need to seize control of the market by lowering the price and getting back to the sub-$1,000 price point while catering to the middle-to-upper range. That may ding Mac Pro sales, but I bet the numbers there are already modest.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
It's hard to say as C DM brought up a very valid point; brand recognition. But then again it is Apple, people would easily adjust. Although, whether it's called iPhone or Apple Phone, I will get it as I am a huge iOS and apple fan.

Reactions: bhayes444

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's hard to say as C DM brought up a very valid point; brand recognition. But then again it is Apple, people would easily adjust. Although, whether it's called iPhone or Apple Phone, I will get it as I am a huge iOS and apple fan.
There's also iOS on top of it all, so if iPhone was to be renamed they would likely have to rename iOS as well, and probably iPad too (and Apple OS as well as Apple Pad don't have as much of a ring really).

kevin4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
I think it will happen... the "i" is going to become passe, and dropping it adds a sense of newness to Apple's line that has been too "i" heavy all these years. They couldn't do iTV or iWatch so they dropped it, and they dropped "iBook" a LONG time ago. So why not?

Apple Phone, Apple Pad, Apple Pod, etc. all work fine. Though the iPod's days are numbered, I believe. The last refresh is probably the last. Phone prices are going to come down further.

As for the iMac, I can see it branching into two lines:

Apple Macintosh: 20" & 24" iMacs with HD or fusion drive, maybe a retina-esque, priced from $999 (or even $899). Available in aluminum.
Apple Mac Cinema: 24" & 27" 5K iMacs with upgradeable SSDs and add'l ports. Priced from $1799. I think a 32" model would be nice to have, too. Available in space grey, silver, and gold (int'l markets may like that. Who knows.)

That keeps the Mac Mini at the low end and the Mac Pro at the top. "Cinema" was the moniker for the monitor line before it was rebranded to Thunderbolt Display, so it's worth considering

Since Apple is much less reliant on their Macs for revenues, they need to seize control of the market by lowering the price and getting back to the sub-$1,000 price point while catering to the middle-to-upper range. That may ding Mac Pro sales, but I bet the numbers there are already modest.
I actually like Apple Macintosh :0

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Why would they change one of the most popular and successful brand names on the planet? "iPhone", "iPad", and "iPod" are so well known and associated with Apple that most of the non-techie people I know call the Apple Watch the "iWatch" and have no idea that that's not the actual name. The name "iPhone" is definitely a case of "if it's not broken, don't fix it!"

Reactions: warden and Lukkee24

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Its not going to happen for a while. Why did this stuff not start when the Apple TV was launched? It's like because we have Apple Pay, Apple Watch, Apple Music, etc. that it means that the iPhone will be renamed.

He is the difference... Those are all new products and/or services that did not before have any kind of name recognition. Have they changed the name of anything?

Honestly what sounds better Apple Music or iMusic? Apple Pay or iPay? Here's one Apple Pad or iPad? Apple Pod or iPod? And TBH iPhone sounds much better then Apple Phone and it's one of the most recognizable names in the tech and/or phone industry. Apple isn't changing the name of the iPhone anytime soon

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
iPhone has too much brand recognition at this point. It could happen, just doesn't seem that likely, at least in the near future.

Companies don't usually throw multi-billion dollar branding out the window. It will always be a Big Mac, never a Big Mick.

iPhone is going to be around awhile.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Its not going to happen for a while. Why did this stuff not start when the Apple TV was launched? It's like because we have Apple Pay, Apple Watch, Apple Music, etc. that it means that the iPhone will be renamed.

He is the difference... Those are all new products and/or services that did not before have any kind of name recognition. Have they changed the name of anything?

Honestly what sounds better Apple Music or iMusic? Apple Pay or iPay? Here's one Apple Pad or iPad? Apple Pod or iPod? And TBH iPhone sounds much better then Apple Phone and it's one of the most recognizable names in the tech and/or phone industry. Apple isn't changing the name of the iPhone anytime soon

Great post. I do agree certain names sound much better than others and I am sure Apple discusses this with each new product or service they release. Apple phone does sound a bit odd plus didn't Apple have to settle with Cisco for the name iPhone? But it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Reactions: Tthomas612

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
1- iphone 6s
2- iphone 7
3- iphone air
4- iphone pro
5- iphone DS = double speed
6- iphone N = next future

1 must be right at event :cool:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Not going to happen due to brand recognition. Maybe if someday apple releases an iPhone that fails miserably they might try rebranding it to restore its image, but that won't happen anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.