What are the chances the next MBP has FACE ID?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Norwegian_Imposter, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Norwegian_Imposter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

I am guessing they will cascade it into the pro like they did Touch ID. What do you guys think?

2. leman macrumors G3

Very slim I think. First they need to slim down the camera assembly (pun intended).

3. HerbertDerb, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

HerbertDerb macrumors regular

HerbertDerb

Why would they remove the touchID from the mac?

They removed it from the iPhone because the technology doesn't support onscreen fingerprint sensor yet

in iphone 8 there is Touch ID, so its not like Apple is trowing it out of the window because FaceID is better..... And iPhone 8 doesn't have FaceID so i don't think Apple is in rush to get it into the Mac.

4. Norwegian_Imposter thread starter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

I'm thinking more along the lines of the camera tech being implemented in the webcam and face id being a byproduct of that.

5. leman macrumors G3

I'm not sure I agree. Actually, I'd say that FaceID makes touchID obsolete. It can work under any weather conditions and it offers a better security, plus it has other applications. And the iPhone 8 doesn't have it simply because right now its too expensive.

6. jerryk macrumors 601

Apple said face ID was more secure and that was one reason they put in on their new flagship phone.

They already have a webcam module in a MBP so making it a little bit bigger to support IR is not a big change.

Finally, Windows 10 has had it for years. And it works great. You open your laptop and it recognizes you and you start working. Nothing to push, it just works. And Microsoft states the security is such that it the probability of being fooled by identical twins 1 in 10,000.

7. Hippocrates macrumors member

My guess is not so soon. The first Touch ID appeared iPhone 5s in 2013. Only after 3 years, Touch ID is on MBP with touch bar.

8. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

MS defenders will bash it out with their Windows Hello on their Surface devices