What are the chances???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DimeTech, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DimeTech macrumors member

Ya we all have seen these iPad 2 spec rumors, comparing it to a 3gs type upgrade (bump in speed, RAM etc) blah blah blah. But if we're talking about the same apple that has amazed us for years, do you think they are really willing to settle for that. Apple is always trying to get us to buy into their products as cutting edge (even if the tech has been around for years).

My point is: What are the chances they DO stun everyone by adding a retina display/1GB of RAM etc.? (all the stuff people say isnt gonna happen) I think the chances are pretty high Apple will add stuff that has been rumored not to be added this iteration. Anddddd.....discuss :D

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

3. DimeTech thread starter macrumors member

Of course it has, that is what forums are for, especially this one. It's called hype.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't think this place is called MacHype. :D

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I think most people are looking for Apple to make a splash with the 2nd generation in the same way that the first did, but that isn't really realistic since it isn't a new product. It is much easier to make waves when you unveil a completely new product class (at least for your company, perhaps not the industry). Updating that said product, even with great specs/features, just doesn't sound as epic in the end.

My guess is that the 2nd generation will have all of the expected items and perhaps a few other minor updates that will all amount to a great device. Remember, "a whole bunch of small ones add up to a big one". That is to say, the sum of all the parts may be a decent leap forward.

The one thing I'm hoping for that hasn't been discussed much is the capacities. I'm hoping that they'll drop the 16GB base model and make the 32GB the new base (offering 32GB, 64GB, 128GB[?]). I'd like to get the base model, but have a little extra memory. It isn't a super-sexy update, but definitely worthwhile in the long-run for everyone IMO.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I hope there will be at least 1 thing to go WOW over.

I know most of us are expecting a yawn event whilst Apple try and sell us a device that's, spec wise at least, lower than Motorola's new Xoom.

Probably showing off a live facetime call.

I expect if they do fit a low end camera on the back, to make an on stage visual joke out of using it as a camera as a get out way of handling any criticism.

I really really hope it's more than most are expecting.

Even honest rumours now are so dull it's almost sleep inducing the upgrade we think we are going to get, to the point that any are saying they don't think they will bother with the next model as it's not going to be much better than the current one.

Let's hope we are wrong, and they do pull a rabbit out the hat, at least in some areas.

8. Ole'schooliBook macrumors member

It seems like Apple is unfortunately being drawn into competing with other "spec-based" tablets. That is, those that offer a fantastic package on paper, but still struggle with seamless integration (software and hardware synergy a la iPad). Galaxy Tab and to an extent, the Xoom all seem to represent this old school PC mentality towards having the highest specs on paper while making the end user experience secondary during development. Granted, worthy opponents will definitely appear, but iPad has a 1 year head start and iPad 2 will most likely be the benchmark for tablets to come. By the way, this is in no way meant to be a value judgment against any other tablets/tablet makers :)

One advantage that Apple has is the brand/category recognition. People walk into a Best Buy and ask, "Where are your iPads?", not "Where are your Tablets". The name iPad has become synonymous with the tablet category. Therefore, to the average consumer (not a macrumors member :p), the differences in specs might not be as important a driving force in making a purchase decision. I dunno, just my 2 cents...

As for any big changes to come with this iteration...I would guess it would be quite similar to the rumours, but I think the greatest upgrade will be the iOS software, and any iPad 2-only features this may include. With more processing capability and supposed better graphics, there could be some nice eye candy or video/gaming features that once again, set the bar higher for the category. With this type of change, I would bet the chances are pretty high, especially considering there is a media event scheduled as a showcase for something that "2011 will be the year of". ;)

-OSiB

9. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

They will do a decent upgrade and then hopefully make iOS 5 on the iPad amazing. That's what I feel will happen

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

0.00002%

exactly the same chance as a white iPhone G4 next week.

11. deadwalrus macrumors regular

Specs will be as predicted. Same resolution screen w/ anti-glare, a5 processor, 512 mb ram, cameras.

My guess it that the WOW will be the NFC chip inside the new iPad and the applications they have come up with that use them. Finding nearby stores or friends, "sensing" a nearby Apple TV and automatically connecting, sensing nearby iPhones and doing cool things, sensing the iPad case, sensing a nearby Mac, sensing an add from a coffee shop as you walk by it, etc.

My guess is they have thought of some cool things no one else has thought of, and they will be showing them off to wow people.

12. fishcove Guest

Practically speaking, most of these applications are outside the range of NFC.

13. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Cameras
    Processor
    Thinner
    Lighter
    Material Change on Back
    Better Speakers

These are the obvious changes and are all worth the uprgrade for me. Dont care about anything else

iOS 5 is where the excitement is

14. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Well really it is 0.000021739% but that is nitpicking.

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

+1

if iOS5 makes the iPad a bit more open and a bit more productive then I upgrade regardless of specs because they will be good enough. If iOS5 is as limited as iOS4 then specs won't matter to me. I won't upgrade.

16. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    All the "sensing" sounds like a huge battery drain to me. Don't need it, and don't want it..

17. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I agree with this....Apple is focused on the user experience. Who cares how much ram is in the iPad as long as it runs smooth for me. A base upgrade to the specs are not what the typical user wants....typical users dont even know there is a cpu/ram underneath the hood, all they know is that the iPad can do all these pretty cool things. Great example is the 11" Macbook air. Specs on it are horrific compared to the modern day computer, however, this little machine screams, because it is properly optimized. You have people running photoshop and gaming on it, maybe not 100% seamless but then again, useable nonetheless. For the iPad 2 to be worth it, there has to be user friendly upgrades, the camera is a good one to start, but its not enough to constitute a second version worthy of upgrading. I dont know what the latest and greatest should be but im willing to bet that apple has it somewhat figured out.....

18. Krandor macrumors 6502

They will try to WOW us with the iOS 5 preview and probably a whole lot of "cloud" talk.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A typical user wants to have more than a couple of safari tabs open without having to reload them whenever you switch between. So yes, more ram is something a typical user wants, even if they don't know what to call it.