What are the conditions to Boot USB 2.0 Ext. Drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jibberish18, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Jibberish18 macrumors newbie

So I've read and have been told that USB 2.0 drives are bootable on a Macbook with a Core2Duo in them. That's great, but are their any other conditions to be met? I'd like to boot another operating system on my USB 2.0 Hard Drive (Preferrabley Ubuntu or Vista if at all possible) but the last time I had Ubuntu completely installed on my Flash Drive, it booted fine on my brothers desktop but I couldn't get the same result with my Macbook. Do I first have to partition the drive as HSF+? Would booting OS's be any easier on a Firewire enclosure? What conditions must be met? Thanks for the help.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I was under the impression you could only boot off of firewire...

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. Jibberish18 thread starter macrumors newbie

That extended to USB 2.0 when the Core2Duos entered the Macbooks. If I'm correct.

Does the GUID Partition require me to partition the entire drive by any chance? Cool that you were able to boot into OSX by the way. :)

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

GPT would define the entire disc and it's not a file system. You can have HFS+, FAT32/NTFS, and ext2/3 under it.

6. Jibberish18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's what I thought. Just the answer I was looking for as I wasn't exactly sure on what GUID was. So technically, I SHOULD be able to boot into another operating system with an external drive, only problem is I would have to set the ENTIRE disk to GPT? Is this something only OSX would recognize? This might be a task for a fast Thumb Drive or a very cheap enclosure and hard drive.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This should explain more. It'll only work on Intel Macs if you're using GPT. It's in Disk Utility under Partition when you have the volume selected.

Attached Files:

8. Jibberish18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it! Thanks a lot for being so helpful buddy. I really appreciate. :) I'm going to set up my entire Flash Drive in GUID and try and reinstall Ubuntu. So if that boots up. I'll lets you guys know what happens. Thanks!

9. Jibberish18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I followed all the proper instructions and it still didn't work. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I took my Seagate External 120GB USB2.0 Hard Drive. Went into Disk Utility in OSX and partitioned the entire hard drive with GUID and all "Free Space". Popped in Ubuntu 8.04 and installed everything properly. Rebooted and got nothing.

So does anyone have any idea why it's not working?? Did I do anything wrong?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I belive Under "Erase" you have to change Volume Format to MS-DOS for Linux to work. I don't have my Linux thumbdrive here with me, will take a look later.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

My Linux thumbdrive:

Partition Scheme: Master Boot Record
    volume Format: MS-DOS