What are the cons of buying previous year's refurbished macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macbook14in, May 1, 2016.

1. Macbook14in macrumors regular

I know the major pro is to save a ton of money. But does the battery cycle count even start from 0?

2. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

I've bought several refurb MacBooks, and while some have had a few cycles on them, many did in fact start at 0. One had 4 cycles, one had 9.

The big perk is saving money. The secondary is that out of the box it's extremely unlikely for there to be any issues, as it's already been inspected post-refurbishment.

3. Macbook14in thread starter macrumors regular

The only major problem is basically not getting the original boxes, which will lead to lower resale value in the future

4. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

That really depends on how long you're keeping it though. If you're selling it in 6 months? Yeah - you'll take a hit. If you're using it for the next 4-5 years? The difference will be nearly non-existent.

I've done the yearly flip thing, and I've moved to buying the right tools for my needs that'll last several years, rather than worrying about bleeding edge. In my case, a 15" MBP, 12" iPad Pro, and an iPhone SE.

If you're doing the flipping game, go new. If you're in it for the long game, save the money.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

I place no value in packaging, it wouldn't affect me one bit as a buyer.

6. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

Cons? None that I can think of. The only one is if you want a newly manufactured machine.

There are way more pros.