What are the differences between these models?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by myrtlebee, Jul 1, 2014.

1. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

So, I have not been following Mac-related news for a while since I haven't had to buy a new Mac in ages. However, the time might be close if I return to school in August (which I most likely am).

I will be needing a notebook, and I am tempted to go for the base model MacBook Air 11" with the education discount:

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/macbook-air

However, I am also considering the base model MacBook Air 11" refurbished:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

But, I am confused . . .

1) Are they the same model?

The only difference I can see is the refurbished model being 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 and the new model being 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5.

2) Is this a big difference in processing power?

3) Are there other differences that I am missing?

The refurbished model says it is the version from June 2013.

4) What is the release date is for the new (non-refurbished) 11" base model Air that I linked to?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they're not the same. If you add a Mac to your shopping cart, you can see the model number, which helps in identifying exactly which model it is. The refurb has a different model number, identifying it as a refurb.

The refurb: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...acbook-air-core-i5-1.3-11-mid-2013-specs.html

The new MBA: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...book-air-core-i5-1.4-11-early-2014-specs.html

You can find specs on all Apple products:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com

You can compare specs of Mac models here.

1: No, they're different.
      2: No, not enough to notice.
      3: Use the link above to compare specs of both models.
      4: April 29, 2014 (also in the specs linked above)

3. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

• Thanks so much -- I appreciate your time. This was extremely helpful!

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Go with the refurb and save some money. There is virtually no difference between 2013 and 2014 Air's as far as power or capabilities go.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Exactly. Likely what happened is that intel was getting better yields and clocking the old 1.3GHz CPU up to 1.4GHz (it's a process called "binning"). Apple got similar pricing (if not the same price) and stuck that in the Air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_binning#Speed_Bump

6. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Yeah, definitely go with the refurb and save your money. No real-world difference between the two.

7. idelgado782 macrumors newbie

Best buy is also offering an education discount on all of their MacBooks. They are giving $150 off of the current prices. So it turns out to be cheaper to purchase from BB then what it does to get it from apple.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

I saved a bit of money when I bought my 2013 Air for Best Buy, but I'm not sure it was worth the little extra headache when I had a problem with it. On day 15, one of my USB ports went bad. Best buy manager wouldn't swap it out. Apple would have done a swap right there on the spot if I had purchased it there. Ended up getting the logic board replaced but the extra trips and time without the machine will make me think twice about buying from Best Buy again.

I realize I was outside of Best Buys stated return policy, but the manager could have made an exception if she had wanted to. Apple customer service is just better than Best Buy and that carries value with me.

9. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Yes, this is partly what I am afraid of. I can get the Best Buy education discount, but I'm leaning more towards Apple. I'm still conflicted on which model I want (4 or 8 GB, 11" or 13", refurb or new), so I'm still going to think about it for a bit. I am also a bit hesitant to go for an Air now when most likely a significant redesign / update is coming in the fall. Maybe I can hold out until then.

10. mlody macrumors 6502a

You could have brought it to a nearest apple store for service instead of best buy. As long as you buy your mac from any authorized place, Apple all honor the warranty.

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

I did. Like I said, Apple ended up doing a logic board replacement on a 15-day old machine. My point is that Best Buy refused to make an exception to their policy. I get that it was within their right to do so, as the policy is clearly stated. I'm not mad at Best Buy for not making the exception. I'm simply contrasting that to the stated fact (from the Apple store itself) that if I had purchased the Air from the Apple store, they would have swapped it out.

The point I was trying to make is that Apple is often known to go above and beyond in terms of customer service. Best Buy stuck to "company policy" instead of making a customer happy. "I'm sorry, we will make it right" vs "I'm sorry, there isn't anything we can (will) do."

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

If it was the 15th day, they should have swapped that machine out. Their return/exchange policy is 15 days. That manager was a douche bag. You are right about Apple's customer service though. They treat you like royalty both in their stores, and when calling in.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, the could have made an exception, but their policy is not 15 days.