What are the essential accessories I need for a new iphone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Psyxologos, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Psyxologos macrumors regular

Title says it all really. Please help a new iphone 3G owner by letting me know what it is the absolutely essentials I need to get with my phone.

screen protector? Which one?

Case? Which one?

etc etc.

thank you in advance!

2. EliteKiller macrumors member

3. Psyxologos thread starter macrumors regular

I tried a search but no thread has a concise answer for a 'group' of accessories.

Thanks for being so helpful though...

4. d7sdavid macrumors newbie

d7sdavid

I use a Griffin Elan Form case with a Power support antiglare screen protector. I just ordered a Griffin iTrip Autopilot charger/fm transmitter so I can soon post about how well that works. Cases are a matter of taste. I tried a leather flip case but I found I would always take it out of the case to use the phone. The case I use now only comes off to clean the phone of pocket dust. My wife has the same case but she also puts it in a leather case to throw it in her purse.

5. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

you should get the switch easy capsule neo, it is a great case that comes with a universal dock adapter, 2 screen shields, dock/headphone jack protector, and a cleaning cloth all for $30 plus $3 shipping.

6. chrisesposito macrumors member

I'll list the types of accessories you might want. There's no shortage of threads as to which instance for each type to get.

1) basic everyday case
    2) Screen protector
    3) headset / earpiece / earbud/mic combo
    4) outdoor / special-purpose cases / containers
    e.g., an armband for running, a waterproof container for swimming, a pouch for holding phone + earpiece / earbud/mic combo

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Screen protector I'd say the Powersupport Anti-glare which can be found here or just buy from a local Apple store, but right now people have been suggesting a worthy competitor which is Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint film which brings more clarity than the Powersupport. Steinheil can be found here.

For the case, it really depends on you want your iPhone to look. It depends on your preference and how often you use your iPhone. Do you want full protection? Minimal protection? Classy? Leather. They have tons. Right now I can attest to the Switcheasy CapsuleNeo BLACK (just don't get the white yet, stains bad). It is super stylish, protects your phone well and even offers a lot of accessories you need - especially the video stand which I LOVE :D Their site is found here.

Now your iPhone should be protected, we'll go over with some of the necessary outdoor products you might need. Most especially, a charger (a real must)

If you have a car, and you'd love hearing music from your iPhone or play it through your speakers AND don't mind static, I'll refer to you Griffin's iTrip Autopilot with Smartscan and features RDS. It works well but like all other F.M. transmitters you'll hear static but it can be avoided by using the international mode (well most of it) It let's you charge your iPhone while it's plugged and plays your iPod through it. Works great for an iPhone 3G. Link can be found here.

You can buy additional dock connectors or wall adapters, but so far that's the basic necessary accessories that I have. Feel free to ask me any question :) I hope that helps.

8. dauerhippo macrumors regular

Seems like no one is giving you a direct answer, so i'll jump in here:

The only accessory that you NEED to walk out of the Apple store with is a screen protector. Cases are good, not 100% nescessary to get immediately though (this may be debatable), but the screen protector is 100% a must.

There are essentially 2 basic types of screen protectors that most people use:

1. "clear" type protectors
    2. "anti-glare/anti-fingerprints" type screen protectors.

The advantage of the "clear" is that it's not noticeable on the screen at all, and it looks exactly like the actual glass screen. The disadvantage is that, just like the glass screen, it shows fingerprints like crazy.

The advantage of the anti-glare type protectors is that they don't show fingerprints at all. The disadvantage is that they tend to have a "frosty" look to them, which decreases the clarity of the screen a bit.

Between the two, it's PURELY a matter of personal preference. At the apple store, they sell the "Power Support" brand screen protectors. Power Support makes a "crystal screen protector" which is the "clear" type, and an "anti-glare" screen protector, which is, not surprisingly, the "anti-fingerprint" type.

A package, which contains 2 screen protectors, costs 14.95. If you can afford it, I would suggest that you buy one package of each. That way, you can try each one, see which one you like better, and if it turns out that you like the first one you try, you always have that 2nd protector to go back to.

My personal preference is for the anti-glare. I just can't stand the fingerprints on the clearer ones, and I don't mind the screen effects of the anti-glare at all.

A couple of extra points - www.sgpstore.com sells the steinheill screen protectors, which are probably slightly higher quality than the powersupport, but powersupport are also very high quality, and they have the advantage of being sold at the Apple store, which is likely where you will buy your phone.
    If you buy it at Best Buy, they sell the DLO brand screen protectors. STAY AWAY from those. They suck.

Now, there is a third type, which is the kind that requires a liquid adhesive to apply. They are sort of in between with regard to clarity and fingerprint protection. If you're interested in this kind, search the forums for "invisible shield, BSE, Bodyguardz and Clear Armor" these are all brands of this type of screen protector. People seem to prefer one brand over another, but there isn't much of a consensus on which brand is best. Personally, I like BSE. The invisible shield brand is sold at Best Buy, so if you do decide to get that kind, you can pick one up there.

Hope this helps.

9. Psyxologos thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks for your replies guys. Much appreciated!

10. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

You've been here since September and you're already being a ****.

Nice dude, real nice. Try answering the question, instead of getting your post count up by replying with stupid crap like search link.

My guess is you probably don't even own an iphone.....

Anyway, you need to get an Incase slider hard case for the iphone 3g, and get a power support screen protector (anti-glare).

The case is the best you'll ever own, and so is the screen protector. The case fits snug, and offers great protection. It protects the chrome, back, sides, top and bottom yet also allows you to connect your charger and has perfect access to the buttons you need.

The anti-glare screen protector from power support (also needs to be for iphone 3g due to screen size differences), well this screen protector doesn't show smudges, marks, fingerprints, anything. It makes the screen look like an LCD without the glass, and eliminates glare. It's awesome, to say the least. You get 2 in a pack and they're the easiest thing in the world to put on.

11. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Simple things are needed

1. Either Incase Slider for iPhone 3G or Contour Flick Case for iPhone 3G. They both offer superior fit (tight to the phone), extremely light weight, and amazing feeling.
    2. Power Support screen protector. Personally, I'm a big fan of the anti-glare, I've had it on both my first iPhone and now my iPhone 3G. It doesn't take away from the screen, but gives it great feeling, almost better than a naked iPhone screen.
    3. Griffin PowerJolt Car Charger. It does the job and is $19.95, you don't need anything fancy.

So total that's $35+$20+$15 = $70. That's all you really need to spend on iPhone accessories. You can go out and get the body sheild, but a good case and Power Support protector will do the job just fine and is a lot less frustrating to implement. Hoped that helped.

12. EliteKiller macrumors member

In all of the years that I've spent on various forums I had no idea that asking someone to use the search feature meant that you were an ****. If the OP would have simply included "I already spent some time searching the forum for answers....." then maybe you'd have a valid complaint. Instead the OP is asking for the best and there is no best. In fact there are no essential accessories needed and only opinionated responses.

Would you like some cheese with your whine? I have a whopping 54 posts since Sept. 10, and it doesn't take a genius to see that post count is not one of my priorities.

Instead of assuming you also need to try using the search feature. Not only do I own a 3G, I posted a pic of it in a Citrus Colors case.

13. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

There you go again. Look, if you're not opening a thread to reply with something productive then please don't reply, AT ALL.

You're comment about the search function isn't appreciated or warranted.

Next time you think about posting something stupid, just drink some anti-freeze and do us all a favor.

Keep the forums clean, and keep them productive.

14. selena12321, Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014

selena12321 macrumors member

There are many accessories like battery, chargrer,case, handsfree but case is nessesary to keep the iphone safe.

15. Psyxologos thread starter macrumors regular

@EliteKiller: I asked what are the ESSENTIAL accessories. I did not ask for the best. So not only you are trolling, you cannot even read properly.

Go troll somewhere else.

@ everyone else:

Thanks for your replies, I have had a look at your suggestions and I have to say that you guys are great help. I think I will go with Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint film, and then just buy a leather case.

I admit Switcheasy CapsuleNeo and CapsuleRebel look GREAT (especially the latter with its color customization) but they seem to be a bit bulky, what do people who own them say? If I go for a Switcheasy I do not need the screen protector, do I? There is one included with the units, right?

Once again, thanks for your help.

16. SpookyET Guest

I disagree. It scratched the hell out of my chrome. I really despise cases just for this reason. I cleaned it very well, but some dust must have got in, and it scratched the bezel. In their warranty, they even say that they are not responsible for scratches because they know their cases cause them.

17. EliteKiller macrumors member

Stop being so obtuse. Essentially you're asking for "what is the best" and you know it. The replies you receive will typically be based on what other people currently own. In the end if you spent some time using the SEARCH function you would answer your own question to a frequently asked question.

If you took the time to SEARCH this forum, or type switcheasy.com into your web browser, you would find the answer in <30 seconds. :rolleyes:

18. Psyxologos thread starter macrumors regular

EliteKiller get a life and get the heck out of here! Really

19. JCMacConvert macrumors newbie

Hey, for how long have you been using your incase slider? Im still trying to decide which case im gonna buy and the incase is at the top of my list (a real short list), but im worried about getting scratches on the chrome bezel, have you had that issue yet? Looking forward to your response.

Thanx in advance =)

20. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

It's not that bulky (well sort of) but just read more of the reviews of people that own this case (me as well) in this thread.

21. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

ditto on a screen protector.

I know a lot of people that are using the Invisible Shield (paying more for the packaging than product?) and its 50/50. Some people like it because it seems so tough but others say its junk because it shows "lines" when you turn the phone on. These lines look almost like maybe they put the thing on wrong and its a crease I guess? Its hard to describe. Just when the phone turns on (light) you can see these lines go across the screen. So... I'm up on the fence about these things as well.

But a lot of people buy Power Support and swear by them. They are cheaper and come with more than just ONE protector.

22. Tosser macrumors 68030

23. papiti macrumors regular

papiti

:eek:OHH, don't forget to include your BRAIN with that!!!!!!:):D:apple:

24. thatninjaguy macrumors newbie

i think you should get a simple case and a screen protector. I have one made by Incipio and it is amazing.

25. Psyxologos thread starter macrumors regular

I have just ordered the 'Powersupport Anti-glare' screen protector and the incase leather folio to carry the iphone around. I do not think I need anything else for now. Perhaps a car charger might be a good idea, but not just yet.

Thanks for your help everyone!