What are the files that are supposed to be in the updates folder?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iPodJBer, Apr 20, 2012.

1. iPodJBer macrumors newbie

Yesterday I jailbroke my iPhone, and today i tried to access Cydia and it just kept crashing(opens for 1 sec and crashes)
    So i read this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=743547
    and i did what foob said, but i'm not sure, cause I didn't see any files in the updates folder, so i just want to ask you, can you upload the files that are supposed to in the updates(/var/lib/dpkg/updates/) folder?
    oh, and please if you can, can you upload the iFile app?

2. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

I have nothing in that folder. The thread you refer to is ancient, I doubt it is the same problem you have.

Did you jailbreak a 5.1? If so, you need to boot tethered, i.e. you need to use redsn0w to boot your device while it is attached to a computer (you find that under Extras). There is not yet an untethered jailbreak for 5.1.

3. iPodJBer, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

iPodJBer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i had the jailbreak at 5.1
    and what do you mean?
    When I did it with redsn0w, it said that it's only tethered and it needs to be fully jailbroken, so I did what they told me to do.
    So is mine still tethered or is it fully jailbroken?
    Please, I need help real fast!

4. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

There is no untethered jailbreak for 5.1, so you have a tethered jailbreak!

That means that the phone cannot jailbreak itself when it boots, but needs help from a computer. Every time you turn on the phone, you need to connect it to the computer, run redsnow, choose just boot tethered, and put the phone in DFU mode and let is boot that way. Quite annoying, but OK if you only turn off the phone very rarely. I used a tethered jailbreak for some months myself.

I suggest googling for tethered jailbreak and for the "semi-tether" package, which at least will allow to boot you phone into a non-jailbroken state in an emergency (obviously, you can do that right now as your phone is in that state, but as you install jailbreak tweaks you will loose that possibility unless you install semitether).

It is likely that an untethered jailbreak will appear in a few weeks, pod2g is making optimistic tweets. Until then, you of course have the option of restoring the phone to non-jailbroken or to live with the tethered jailbreak. Most people would probably choose to restore, personally I would choose the tethered jailbreak :)

5. iPodJBer thread starter macrumors newbie

I got everything now, but now that i booted the iPhone, Cydia would open now!
    But it's like i'm cursed, each time fix something another "something" comes up :(
    So my new problem is that when ever i try to install something from Cydia it says "Sub-process /user/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)"
    Please help me, this is so annoying!

6. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

That should obviously not be happening. Unfortunately, I have no idea what could be wrong.

Try jailbreaking again. If noone more knowledgeable has an idea, try opening a new thread with the error message in the title.

7. iPodJBer thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thx for the help though :)
    Ima wait for 2 days, and if no one answers me, i'll make a new thread :)