What are the known/potential security issues with jailbroken iphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macswitcha2, Aug 2, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

On one hand you have lots of people jail-breaking their iPhones and on the other hand there are those who don't due to security concerns.

Are there any known security issues?

For those who are concerned, what are you fearing?

And, for those have JB their iphones, why the lack of concern or do you have satisfactory security measures put in place?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Same security ricks and advantages of any open system, just in like your PC/MAC you'll have to watch what you download and install. Read reviews, use knowns sources, etc.

If you are running background services (like SSH, telnet, etc) make sure you don't leave the default password or set the password to "P A S S W O R D". Use strong paswords.

Don't go crazy and "trash" your device installing every single app under the sky.

As I said..just like any other open system like your browser, PC, router, DVR, etc.

3. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

The sole reason I don't is because it makes battery life suck once you do it. Even if you take it off I feel like it sucks...

Just my humble opinion.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Never had any battery issues, I actually get better battery life since I get SBsettings I can access my wifi, Bluetooth and others (SSH) with just a click, so when i am jailbroken I enable 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth and SSH only whne i need it and disbale as soon as I am done. This can be done with stock FW but it is a hassel to click like 10 times so I end up no doing it.

5. dojoman macrumors 65816

Same here....not worth the risk especially I check my bank accounts. Battery drain is another reason. I don't like the idea that something could be running in the background without user knowing.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Nothing is going to run in the background unless you installed it yourself, and since it is a open system you can access it and list every single thread, resource or module running and kill it if you need to. :cool: