Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Panini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
Can someone, in detail, explain to me what the lag issues are on the rMBP? Where they occur, and if it can be fixed via hardware or not?

I know there's a scroll-lag, but I don't know much about it. What browsers? Under 2880x1800 only or 1920 as well?

I've heard about Mission Control lag as well, any info about this?

Thanks

EDIT: It seems scrolling lag is only apparent in certain resolutions/scaling options? Which ones?

EDIT2: My current computer lags with an actively changing desktop (every 10 seconds) and swiping back and forth on launchpad while the background changes. Can anybody see if there is any studdering whatsoever on the rMBP (on different scaling options, too, if posisble). Thanks

EDIT3: Can anybody see if lagging is still apparent (on ML) while a youtube video is running? It lags on legacy MBPs but not that much (about as much as a rMBP lags normally from the video(s) I've seen). Does ML fix this AND give a performance boost to boot? Or will scrolling through youtube comments forever be studdery?

Last edited:

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
NOT my personal experience but from what I 've been reading around, there's a lag in one mode you mentioned in things such as safari and preview, it's smooth in best for retina, and it doesn't seem to be software related as forcing the mac to use the external and not the integrated gfx doesn't solve the issue. Of course it could be helped with software optimizations come mountain lion, who knows.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Lag is mostly fixed by Mountain Lion. I only use the best for retina and 1680x1050 equivalent though.

The "Dude"

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
No lag on mine as well running ML dev preview. I've used a machine that was Lion but running with latest updates, and the lag was minimal and restricted to poorly designed websites.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
Lion doesn't lag a bit on mine- Fastest Computer I have ever owned. Don't overanalyze and listen to people whom restore OLD programs and backups with years of program fragments and then complain they don't work on a new machine.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
He's not talking about lion lag in general, he's talking about gpu tasks such as quick zoom ins in PDFs, scrolling in safari, cmd + and scrolling etc, the experiences from in store or home use from some users have reported these in pristine macs.

theoski

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Lion doesn't lag a bit on mine- Fastest Computer I have ever owned. Don't overanalyze and listen to people whom restore OLD programs and backups with years of program fragments and then complain they don't work on a new machine.

Come this just wrong info. Just go to apple store a compare ipad 3, rmbp with any air. The performance should not be the worst on rmbp in a simple task of scrolling in Safari. Again half baked software and dont believe ML fixes the problem because it does not. Dont know whats with Apple but the lack of attention to QC in the software dept is alarming. Just look all of reviews for Lion, Aperture, Final Cut Pro, etc. A lot of legit concern from people that are not used to this level of negligence from Apple.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I don't need to compare a "store model"- I have one and it's fast zooming, scrolling, etc. I bet you have screen tint issue too? This forum degenerates quickly to bitchin way too often sometimes. Buy one(if you can afford, and find one), and see for yourself. Don't trust "store models" that idiots mess with all day...

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Try it at the store. Open a bunch of application and do the mission control add some spaces try to move around window. Try to move apps to different spaces. See it crawl into lag. Not biggie but annoying.

JMB1911

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2010
My rMBP did lag in safari and when I did the espose swipe....I put ML on and it is smooth 99% of the time.

mackry

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
I received my rMBP on Monday (2.3ghz/16GB/using 650m with the update). I'm only using 1680x1050 and have noticed that the lag and stuttering of animations is very apparent; everything from the dock magnifications, opening and closing windows, zooming of app icons when opened, to switching tabs in browsers and, yes, scrolling. I've also already encountered glitchy graphics and had to restart.

But hey, this thing has a **** ton of pixels! All is good, Apple!

Yeah, many people are in denial about this, but say what you want, it doesn't help those who notice the details.

I'm downloading ML right now and will test out the difference. If it does not completely fix the issue, I'll be returning this bad boy.

mackry

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
I received my rMBP on Monday (2.3ghz/16GB/using 650m with the update). I'm only using 1680x1050 and have noticed that the lag and stuttering of animations is very apparent; everything from the dock magnifications, opening and closing windows, zooming of app icons when opened, to switching tabs in browsers and, yes, scrolling. I've also already encountered glitchy graphics and had to restart.

But hey, this thing has a **** ton of pixels! All is good, Apple!

Yeah, many people are in denial about this, but say what you want, it doesn't help those who notice the details.

I'm downloading ML right now and will test out the difference. If it does not completely fix the issue, I'll be returning this bad boy.

Just installed Mountain Lion and so far, so awesome! Much improvement.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
I don't need to compare a "store model"- I have one and it's fast zooming, scrolling, etc. I bet you have screen tint issue too? This forum degenerates quickly to bitchin way too often sometimes. Buy one(if you can afford, and find one), and see for yourself. Don't trust "store models" that idiots mess with all day...

enough with the bs attacks to anyone challenging that an apple product doesn't run 150% as described and better, have your macs and enjoy them, no need to attack others for being "idiots" and messing up the models in the store (...what else are we going to hear...), people have been reporting lags that have not been reported in other models. Someone didn't just wake up one day and said let's all report lags on these machines, a lot of very mainstream in depth reviews reported them too, no need to constantly defend apple, it get's tiring and boring.

The forums degenerate to bitching that's for sure, but the forums degenerate to all sorts of self appointed defenders of apple making it hard for anyone to get to the bottom of an issue, or to find out to what extent it exists. My mac runs fine there and there suffices, it doesn't have to become an attack to others.

Nckcard

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I have the base model rMBP, and with all of the software updates installed, there really are not any lag problems that I have experienced while playing high-demanding games, scrolling through pages, or otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.