What are the MBP alternatives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SilentCrs, Oct 20, 2008.

1. SilentCrs macrumors regular

After sending back my new MBP (I'm keeping my old one), I'm curious what alternatives there are out there. I've seen people recommend various HP and Lenovos. What I'm looking for:

* Mid-range graphics performance. I'm not expecting nor wanting top of the line. However, I don't want integrated either.
    * 15" screen. Not looking for an ultraportable or luggable.
    * Reasonable weight. Something in the 6 lb range is good.
    * Reasonable storage. 250 GB HD. Blu-ray would be a plus.
    * I don't need something that'll win design awards, but I'd prefer something that wasn't flimsy plastic either.
    * Windows XP-able. I don't plan on using Vista.

Is there anything out there similar to MBP in specs (although perhaps not design), reasonable weight and around the same price? (Yes, I know I won't be getting OS X. However, I have OS X on my main machine, a new aluminum iMac, and I don't mind having different OSes in my home).

2. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

Tons. It'll be hard to find XP pre-installed, but you can always install it yourself.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

HP has business laptops that have XP pre-installed with a vista upgrade dvd included, the Business machines are much nicer than the consumer ones, they are realitivly the same price, but include some nice extra features

4. ManWithhat macrumors regular

The new Deal Studios XPS line is releasing in November and will directly compete with the new Macbook Pros. Supposedly it'll have the same specs (including edge to edge glass, slot loading drive, illuminated keyboard, Hybrid graphics), but with a BTO Blu Ray drive, up to 1900x1200 resolution, WiMax, HDMI out, and an ESATA/USB combo port. I'm sure it will be cheaper than any similar specced MacbookPro as well.

I'd wait to November to choose your laptop.

5. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Why not just get a Penryn MBP? Prices are lower on those now, and they don't have the glossy screens that a lot of people dislike.

6. brl25 macrumors newbie

7. itcomic macrumors member

Asus , from non-gaming to graphic work to intense gaming, it is perfect replacement to Mac. In fact, you get much more value per dollar from them compare with Mac Pro.

Price is very good as well. Much better than Sony. Comparable Gorgeous Screen. The only reason I wanted to switch to Mac over Asus because of weight and design and Leopard. But if I don't buy a Mac, i will 100% get Asus. A few of my friends own Asus and they work flawlessly.

The new gaming line is G-series.

8. Pope Jawn Pawl macrumors member

The Lenovo W500 would directly compete with the MBP, or the HP 8530w.
    Stay away from Dell.

9. mladenz macrumors regular

10. Baffles macrumors regular

Give Vista an actual try, in my experience, on the proper hardware, it's faster than XP.

You could always do some looking around and find a laptop that is compatible with OSX86 and install that as well.