What are the minimum requirements to play vids like this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PaperMacWriter, May 18, 2009.

1. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

I would like to use an old mac, preferable a iMac G3, because they're cheap and look cool(and my brothers teacher has one she doesn't want), to play vids of specs like these:
    [​IMG]
    They're just videos ripped off Youtube(via TubeSocks), so not too big. Id like it to shuffle a library of videos(small amount, a few GB max) at start up, full screen. Is this even possible? And, is possible, what are the minimum hardware and software requirements? TIA!
    SG :apple:
    oh, and sorry if this is the wrong board:eek: seems right, but not sure.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's not worth your time to do so on a G3.

It'll be passable on at the very least a fast, 800 MHz, G4.

3. PaperMacWriter thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Do you mean rip time? Or playback? Id be ripping them from a C2D iMac, then using a thumb drive. No pro work, just someone playing vids whilst I hang out in my room. Much cooler that way:cool:

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. PaperMacWriter thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Darn. Would they be all choppy? Slow load times?:confused:
    What about a 500MHz G4 with 16MB of VRAM? Thinking of a cube... I love those things:D So cool:cool:

6. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i don't think they would be a problem. it is possible that quicktime will not be great, but using vlc, mplayer, movist or less cpu intensive software. my sister plays videos on my old g2 ibook without issue.

7. PaperMacWriter thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

g2 ibook? The first iBook was a G3, and I dont think they ever called them g2s. But anyway, would it be choppy, make the computer scream, ect? I know my way around QT, so I'd prefer that. How would a G4 Cube do?

8. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

sorry, typo. G3. if you have nothing else running, then playback should be ok for the resolution you posted, but any multitasking would likely result in choppy playback.

regardless I would advise using something other than quicktime on PPC whether g3 or g4. but yes, a g4 would be much better but you don't get the funky power of the flower. is a g4 imac out of your range?

9. PaperMacWriter thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

A G4 iMac is kinda out of range, seeing as all I want from this is vids:D Pointless, but fun. The only reason a cube is within range is because I want one anyway, as it has to be one of my favorite desighns, I just couldn't come up with a use for it:eek: Now I have one, which is good. An iMac G4 would be fine, just as long as it doesn't break my goof-off bank:D which is about $50 if solely for video, or $100 if for various. And if a cube(all orgional parts, full BTO 500MHz), then about... $250:D I'm a sucker for a good design;)

10. PaperMacWriter thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Just curious, what would the minimum requirements actually be for it to play, regardless of how well? If quicktime 7 works on it, would it play my vids?

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My iMac G4 800 MHz was just enough to playback 720 x 480 MPEG-4.

You'd start dropping frames if you did anything else besides watching the video. This was in VLC and in Quicktime.

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Try to convert to a less CPU-intensive codec. h.264 is incredibly demanding on a even on a G4. Try plain MPEG-4 or xvid (could try sorenson2/3 but not too sure about it). You might need to install something to get xvid to work though.

13. PaperMacWriter thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

How do I change the format? Any specific(free) program that would accomplish this? And anyone know how to make it shuffle the videos at startup, full screen? Thanks, and sorry for all these dumb questions:eek:

14. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

http://handbrake.fr/?article=download Choose the right download for the computer that will be doing the converting.

Once you've downloaded it, open the program. Click on the source on the top right, find your movie. Under 'Output Settings' click on format select 'MP4 file'. Under the video tab, video codec should be 'MPEG-4 (FFmpeg)'.

Choose your preferred destination for the converted move.

Should not need to do anything else. Click on 'Start', top left.

15. PaperMacWriter thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

just tried handbrake, crashed every time. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe it doesnt like youtube videos.... weird:confused: Any ideas on how to fix this?

16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac