What are the most reliable brands (HD 7200rpm)?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dias, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Dias macrumors 6502

Hi everybody

I've almost sold my MBP and I'm gonna order MB early next week, so I'll need a good 7200rpm HD (320Gb) for my new baby.

What brands/models do you consider most reliable? On this forum I've read good impression about Seagate Momentus line, what do you think?

Thanks in advance

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

to be honest they are all much of a muchness. there are occasional, isolated faults, such as in the seagate firmware a little while ago.

some people will claim, i only use maxtor, or i only use wd. the truth is no one knows what the actual failure rates are because the manufacturers keep them as closely guarded secrets.

pick what works for you at a reasonable price. some people care about noise and heat, power consumption and vibration. choose based on the factors that matter to you, you can't make a quantitative choice in terms of reliability because you have no data.

3. David G. macrumors 65816

There's a report by Google on the different hard drives they used and how reliable they were with all sorts of details listed out. I don't know the link but I bet within a minute or two of googling :))) you could find out some relevant info for your needs. I doubt very much so that they used laptop drives for their servers but it would give a general idea brand wise. Happy searching.

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

yeah, i remember when it came out, they don't call out any specific brands. so, square one. no data.

here's the bottom line, time to develop some brand loyalty, join the consumer brain washing, you've got to have a team to follow and barrack for, so you can put down the other team and make yourself feel better. i say pick seagate and start saying how ***** WD is.

you've already chosen apple, just a brand... :apple::rolleyes:

[of course, you could try looking at some performance benchmarks on the drives. you might be surprised at the difference...]

5. Dias thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, thanks for replies guys.

I understand that there are many factors to consider. I had bad experience with Maxtor personally (on desktop), WD was quite good, but I wasn't sure whether brand quality is the same in 2.5'' market where I don't have experience at all.

For example, what is the fastest 7200rpm hd available for MacBook?

6. Jellix macrumors newbie

My personal experiences with Seagate were very bad, already lost 3 hdd. The brand i trust most is Hitachi and intel (SSD of course).

7. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

in synthetic benchmarks, the seagate wins out. in real world benchmarks... good luck finding a decent comparison. but really, who cares. you'll never notice the difference.

if you say a hard drives name in vain, of course they're going to fail on you. duh.

i do science:

Results 1 - 10 of about 679,000 for seagate failed. (0.21 seconds)
    Results 1 - 10 of about 830,000 for western digital failed. (0.15 seconds)
    Results 1 - 10 of about 865,000 for hitachi failed. (0.18 seconds)

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I guarantee you that most of those results are for much older drive models or for products not related to magnetic storage. Some of this companies have diversified a bit, you know.

I personally don't trust Seagate drives. After all the problems they've had recently, along with one of my own Seagate drives having failed, I will not buy any of their products. For my external backup drive, I made sure to purchase a Hitachi drive, and could not be happier.