What are the must have or essential accessories (1st time owner)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by AstroDrew, Sep 8, 2016.

1. AstroDrew macrumors regular

AstroDrew

What are the must have or most essential accessories I should invest on? I'll be a new AW owner so I'm just curious what I'll need to protect and better my AW experience, and what accessories first gen owners have used to accompany their AW. Do I need extra band, a screen protector, extra charger, whole body armor etc?

Thanks!

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I can't offer too much input but my wife lover her dock/stand. I'll be getting a watch this go around too and plan on a stand. Seems much more convenient than a tiny magnetic charger flopping around. You can go almost as cheap or expensive as you want too. The wooden version she has was under $10 on amazon.

3. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

You'll want an extra charge cable.

I travel for work and have one in my bag, it's nice not to have to pull the one at my bedside table out and pack it.

You will want some bands - they're just darned nice. I've got a SS and wear the link bracelet 95% of the time, but i've also got a leather loop and the leather classic buckle. I wear the sport band when i'm mowing the lawn.

4. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I would get a screen protector, possibly another charger for the office if you work at one, and a nightstand dock.

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Maybe an extra charge cable.

If you've got the link bracelet or (maybe) the mesh loop, I'd recommend Apple's padded UFO-like charging dock. All the other bands can open flat and lay the watch on its back.

Screen protector and body armor? Do you buy these things for your other watches, too? Well, okay, maybe a slip- or snap-on body protector for when you're working on the car or something.

6. AstroDrew thread starter macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Good point on protector and body armor. However, it will be my most expensive watch I've owned.

7. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Bands bands and more bands. Maybe Apple Charging dock too.

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah, really good for travel. Folds nice and flat.

9. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I bought a charging stand, a few knock-off bands and a second charging cable for when I travel. I rarely wear the other bands anymore, so you might want to consider if it is really worth the extra $$ to buy the official Apple bands.

TxWatch

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

a charging dock. Its so much easier just to throw it down then to play with the puck.
    I have the griffin one. works for me and it acts as a cable management so i don't have a ton of cord flying around.

11. AstroDrew thread starter macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Should I buy the Apple Care for my AW? Is it worth the $49.99??

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

If you're going for a cheaper model it may not be worth it. Depends on how accident-prone you are? I bought it for both mine and have never used it once. One release-day sport and a more recent 42mm black SS Milanese.

Never had any problem with either watch. They're solid devices. I'm really impressed with their reliability. A lot of "wearables" can be flaky.

13. AstroDrew thread starter macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Yeah, I am leaning towards the SS Black - I guess you're right Apple brands are durable. I still have my older iPad 3 which stills run well and has withstand two toddlers dropping it and playing with it.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I feel like Apple care is an especially good value at $25 a year, particularly at the repair cost prices. Unlike with iPhone, a cracked screen on the Watch automatically puts you ahead of where you would be out of pocket. You also enjoy benefits of overnighted repair shipping; I believe otherwise it's standard shipping to and from repair facilities.

I'm still in the fence myself but I am leaning towards going with it.

15. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Rolex owners don't put protective cases on their watches, and the starting prices are around $5500. If they aren't worried, you don't need to worry, either.

16. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

A screen protector? Oh, come on. Do you put a screen protector on your iPhone and iPad Pro too?

17. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

[​IMG]

I have my 42MM SS on the way but don't think i'll be getting any screen protector. I also got AC+ and already bought an extra band on amazon. I would like an extra charging cable to work and travel. no dock ATM but may look at one in the future.

18. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

I would definitely recommend Apple Care +. A charging dock is nice for nightstand mode, and depending on the band you choose with you watch, you might want a sport band or a nylon band, too.