what are the odds apple adds GPS to the next ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by brendu, Jun 30, 2009.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

hey considering there has been recent evidence that there will be a new ipod touch revision soon, what do you guys think the odds are that they add some form of gps to it? if they did i would buy it in a heartbeat.

also.. possibly a 64gb model?

2. celticpride678

Not really good odds. That would probably require new hardware, new software and more weight to the device. Not to mention that you would need 3G/Edge to use it in the car (where you probably are). I'd say something like 5% chance.

3. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Why would you need 3G or Edge? I have full datablocks on my iPhone, and it still can locate me on a map (if the map is in the cache, otherwise the dot is on a grey screen). And this is even when I'm in a car.

4. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

why would it need to be on a cellular network in order to have satellite gps?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

You don't. There is no need for 3G or Edge to use a GPS, you only need a connection with the sat. Maps can be stored in the iPod.

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

Thank you.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

The "find my iPod" feature seems to suggest it will.

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Yes, but it lets the GPS on the iphone send location info over the 3G connection back to your mobileme account. The 3G connection has nothing to do with how GPS works when using it for nav and maps on the iPhone itself.

9. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

is there a find my ipod feature? i thought this was only for iphones...

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'll put the Odds of a new Touch having GPS at about the same as Camera, Haptic, Finger sensing, Ubiquitous web access, Video recording and editing, Paper thinness, Flexablity, Stretch, and Foldability. Slim.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

*sigh.....* Havent you heard of TomTom's? Seriously dude that makes no sense. Original GPS's were designed to work all over the world. Do you think there's a solid 3G connection in the middle of the sahara desert? I think not. My thoughts now; I doubt there will be GPS...

12. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Yes, MobileMe has a Find my iPod feature. Based on your WIFI connection, it can locate your iPod touch. You can also send it a message and erase the iPod, just like the iPhone. Of course, your touch will not always be on so it won't be as useful as on the iPhone.

13. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Slightly less then 100%, very slightly. Same with the Camera/Video Camera debate. The Touch is about selling apps, lots of apps, and lots of money to be made selling apps, anything not requiring a 3G connection is liable to make it into the new Ipod Touch hardware, that means GPS, compass and camera.
    -Tig

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

Most people are saying you won't get a gps, camera, or compass on an iPod Touch; it would raise the cost and compete with the iPhone. Plus it would make the device thicker.

15. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

I agree that it has as much chance as a camera. But saying that i think both have a pretty good chance.

Apple appears to be standardizing across the 2 touch platforms so that as a development platform you have consistency of services/APIs.

Personally i always though the wifi location on the touch was a waste of time, but they did it, and there seems such a great market for navigation apps.

I think we`ll start to see a parity between the touch and iPhone, the only real difference being the 3G voice and data.

16. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If they add a decent camera and on-board video editing, they'll steal buyers of video cameras. I'm thinking of those cheap flip cameras that are popular at the moment and make it easy to upload to YouTube. Spend a little more for a Touch and get better resolution, better view screen, editing, and uploading all on the device. Add to that the photos of upcoming cases with a camera hole and I'm convinced.

17. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Its not going to compete with the IPhone, because noone buys the iphone for the camera or GPS, they buy it because they want an Iphone. If AT&T had decent service where I lived I'd have an Iphone instead of a touch and a phone, but I actually need to get my phone calls, so AT&T isnt a really good idea. The new Iphone 3GS 16 GB is $179 in parts and labor, that means its cheaper then what it cost to make the 16 GB IPOD touch a year ago, and the Touch would be cheaper because the touch doesnt need the phone chip(s). Given what the millions of free money that Apple has made on the sale of 3.0 to the Touch community, and the "improvements" that 3.1 (non destructive video editing, improved GPS/direction finding), betting that we wont see GPS and Video in the new Touch is not a very safe bet, it will be a nice buy in for those couple million new touch owners come Xmas time. OS sales to Touch owners is basically all profit, so making the upgrade a must have just makes sense.
    -Tig

18. sanddunes21 macrumors newbie

Like everyone else said, I highly doubt GPS would be on the next iTouch. It sort of defeats the purpose of the iPhone, and like some people said, it would compete with it. However, I think there's a fairly high chance there could be a camera on it. Now they can target the "flip camera" crowd as well.

19. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

How exactly does GPS on an Ipod touch defeat the purpose of the Iphone. How exactly does knowing you latitude, longitude and altitude mean you dont need a phone? Do you often put your Tom Tom in your car and then leave your phone home because you have a GPS? The GPS chip costs $2.25, Apples end of the GPS software business in the App store has already has made enough money to eat the cost of adding it to the whole first run on the 3rd Generation Ipod Touch, so why on earth would you not include it.
    -Tig

20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Doesn't the camera "defeat the purpose of the iPhone" too, but you think one will be included and not the other? Two different products. iPod. Phone.

21. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

i think GPS makes sense for the touch.. the defining factor that splits the touch from the phone is that the touch will not have 3g so no data in all those 3g places... camera makes sense but dont care one way or the other... i just really think GPS would be a killer feature to put the touch above the zuneHD, and doubt very much it will hinder iphone sales at all.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

Agreed.

I would love to eliminate my cheap "always in the car" camera, as well as my GPS, and just get the ipod touch.

23. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

AT&T is **** and everyone knows it but if you say anything less you get twenty iPhone fanboys flaming you. My dad had AT&T for his work phone that he had to share but couldn't get service in vital areas for many of his employees, literally no service. But with verizon he's never had less than awesome coverage......