Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
erf
ohhh yeah, one of your favorite issues that people keep talkin about on here! (im a lil sarcastic) been reading lotta posts here, so ima post my question that might have been recycled over and over again... you're gonna flame me anyways, so here it goes....

I have verizon; love the service, hate the phones. My contract ends in November 2009. I've been drooling over everyones iphone I know and am waiting to get one. If theres a good chance verizon will get iphone next yr, then I would play the waiting game and stick with them. if not, I'd rather jump onto the iphone on november when the contract is up....but i dont want to do it if i cant get a chance to get the new iphone 4gen when it comes out...

some questions ive been thinking constantly...
What are the chances of Verizon getting the Iphone next year?

Apple workin on the cdma side of things? (at all?)

What are the chances of apple LEAVING ATT with an updated iphone (when iphone updates next yr, will att have it as well if apple doesnt stick exclusively with them?)

What do ya'll think I should do? get it in november?, or wait it out till next june?

Gatteau

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2009
Italy
I don't live in America and I don't know much about ATT, but: None. At least not anytime soon.

ATT will fight for their iPhone exclusivity.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
All carriers suck but some suck less than others. Chances: 6 to 1.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
It would likely only be possible once Verizon's LTE network is heavily deployed (which is at least 2-3 years off), and only then once there's an LTE capable iPhone.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Apple should allow the iPhone to all carriers like Blackberry does and they would easily be the undisputed leader in sales over BB.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Apple should allow the iPhone to all carriers like Blackberry does and they would easily be the undisputed leader in sales over BB.

Yeah, but that would mean Apple would have to cram even more circuits into the compact iPhone body. I really don't see that happening until LTE becomes popular. Why invest into CDMA knowing it's going to be obsolete soon?

cytoxyn

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Corning, NY
i am thinking 4:1 since Verizon just released a world phone with a cdma/gsm sim card. The question is how will Verizon cripple the iPhone (like all of its other phones) and the data packages that come with it

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple workin on the cdma side of things? (at all?)

No idea about odds, but the answer to the radio question, at least, is already known. There can be no debate on their willingness to make a CDMA phone. Apple approached Verizon previously about making a CDMA model in addition to the GSM one.

And they've already been through one major radio change, when they added WCDMA to get 3G. If they make a version for China Mobile, that'll be yet another 3G radio.

(LTE isn't a factor. It's not only five years away from full deployment, but it would very likely still require a Verizon-specific model. Why would ATT and Verizon ever want to sell swappable phones... unless a law requires it? Heck, Sprint and Verizon don't even do it.)

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
erf
(LTE isn't a factor. It's not only five years away from full deployment, but it would very likely still require a Verizon-specific model. Why would ATT and Verizon ever want to sell swappable phones... unless a law requires it? Heck, Sprint and Verizon don't even do it.)

yea that is true, Blackberry makes different phones on different carriers.

there is a good chance I'm gonna go to AT$T...
whats the chance of getting a subsidized price on the next iphone update?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Verizon

needs to come over to the GSM side of life and then Apple will look at them. This was the issue a while back and it's still the issue today. AT&T Verizon and T-mobile are the only ones that can really support the iphone network for Apple to stay with one forever doesn't make sense since some people are on a network because of there work. Time for Verizon to go GSM. ;)

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
i am thinking 4:1 since Verizon just released a world phone with a cdma/gsm sim card. The question is how will Verizon cripple the iPhone (like all of its other phones) and the data packages that come with it

they didn't JUST release one
those have been around for years, since CDMA doesn't exist in most other countries, so a "world phone" has to had a SIM card. The SIM isn't used at all in the US, because Verizon's network isn't GSM at all, so this would have no effect on the iPhone working with Verizon.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
cytoxyn has it pegged right. Apple will never give up GSM. The iPhone is worldwide - CDMA is just US. I think they will go to VZW with their new phone in June, (GSM/CDMA) sim. Other than both wanting control, the big stumbling block was WiFi & VZW wouldn't give in. They now are crying about it. They were 1st choice because of network. ATT network SUCKS, constant droped calls & call failures. I had 2 top Nokia's with the same network problem but fine with VZW. Keeping my fingers crossed. Lets go Apple!

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
All carriers suck but some suck less than others. Chances: 6 to 1.

Depends on your own personal experience. From my own experience at&t is less evil than Verizon.

Are they working on a CDMA iPhone? Probably. Is it ever going to be released to the public? Possibly but I bank on no.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
there's no chance of it ever happening. The iphone needs a SIM card, which Verizon doesn't use. and Verizon has stated that they don't want any phone they carry to use an app store other than their own. sorry but they will just have to stick with the voyager. have fun

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
there's no chance of it ever happening. The iphone needs a SIM card, which Verizon doesn't use...

i am thinking 4:1 since Verizon just released a world phone with a cdma/gsm sim card...

You both have no idea what you are talking about. Do your homework.

Good point. A company exists to make a profit. Apple could make more profit by being on more carriers. They could be the M$ of iphones, everywhere your turn, iphones.

The only problem with that is :apple: lovers who think they are privileged will start crying about how everybody has an iphone these days.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I was also very concerned about switching from Verizon, but I have had no regrets since I made the switch to ATT. I can only speak for the areas in which I have used both services, but my service in both the LA area and the DC area have been substantially better with ATT. I know that the bars displayed on the phone don't necessarily mean better service, but I always have more bars on ATT than Verizon. Empirically, I have had more problems with Verizon's service in both areas too (dropped calls, spotty reception). I am not sure why, because Verizon has been very good to me for something like three years. But just in this past year or so, I have had many problems.

Personally, I cannot relate to the complaints about ATT's reception/service issues. But my experience is only limited to these two major metropolitan areas. I don't doubt the complaints, but I think you should check to see what ATT's service is like in your area.

kdarling

macrumors P6
needs to come over to the GSM side of life and then Apple will look at them.

I doubt Verizon would ever want to go backwards. Engineers knew long ago that CDMA had superior user and speed capacity, along with almost no dropped tower handoffs.

That's why the GSM group also knew long ago that they would have to use a CDMA protocol to get 3G, and they did.

Besides, Verizon is USA only. GSM was created for denser and more numerous European countries, where you also had to support many different carriers.

Other than both wanting control, the big stumbling block was WiFi & VZW wouldn't give in.

WiFi had nothing to do with it. Verizon has had WiFi phones for years. But they didn't need to rely on WiFi anywhere near as much as ATT.

and Verizon has stated that they don't want any phone they carry to use an app store other than their own.

Misreporting. Verizon only said they were putting just their own store on as a default. You can still use any other store like before.

Discussions and opinions are great.. but at least base them on facts. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.