What are the odds of reviving my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by logicstudiouser, Sep 20, 2017.

1. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502a

logicstudiouser

I have been using an iPhone 5 since I purchased new in early 2014 and it has been working great for my needs. But, over the weekend at a cottage, I forgot that I put my phone in my swimsuit pocket and started swimming in a lake. After about 30 seconds, I realized it was in my pocket.

I ran out immediately, dried the exterior, removed the SIM card and dunked in a bowl of rice for 2 days.

I have ordered a new battery and screen kit, which should come in a week or so.
    What are the chances the logic board survived being in the water for a minute?

I'm sure this has happened to a few other members on here. Curious to here from those that have been through similar accidents. Thanks

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Before you removed the Sim card, did the iPhone have any power at all? Something else you can try as well, is use silica packets until your parts arrive, they also do a fairly good job of absorbing moisture as well.

3. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The corrosion will get the logic board once the phone warms, especially since it was exposed to lake water.

You might be able to revive it, but don't expect it to last long or act normally.

4. logicstudiouser thread starter macrumors 6502a

logicstudiouser

Parts arrived earlier than expected and fortunately everything seems to be fine so far, however, wi-fi is greyed out. I'll have to do some troubleshooting. Hoping I don't need to go back inside the phone again.