What are the odds that I can get a replacement 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Abyssgh0st, May 30, 2009.

1. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Hi all,

I bought my iPhone 3G from BestBuy mid January 2009, and I've loved it since. I went from Sprint, to T-Mobile, to AT&T within a three month span searching for the perfect phone. I found it in the iPhone, and I have babied it ever since I bought it. I've had a case on it 24/7 since it came out of the box, in cases such as the incase sliders, corecases aluminum, and the incase powerslider.

I haven't had any problems with my iPhone (I've jailbroken, tried that out, now I am a member of the Developer program with Apple and have a legit copy and account of 3.0 beta 5.) except till now, and within the last week I have noticed numerous specks of dust under my screen. At first I didn't really care because I could shake them to the point where they are unnoticeable, but now I have one stuck a little below the middle of the screen and it is annoying the crap out of me. Also in the surrounding area around this quite large piece of dust (probably about half a centimeter) there is about 100 minute dust particles that are clearly visible if looked at closely.

I have an appointment tomorrow at the Genius Bar (I'm typing this on a UMBP at the Apple store right now..) and I was wondering what are the odds I will get a replacement? There is nothing wrong with my iPhone (aesthetically or internal) except for this. Water sensors are fine as well.

PS: I do not have AppleCare, because they did not offer it for me to purchase when I got the iPhone.

Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. The General macrumors 601

I bought mine in October 2008. I got it replaced about two months ago for dust under the glass.

The Apple store swapped it right out. I don't know if Best Buy will be so kind.

4. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

What does your ratio mean?

And The General; I'm going to the Apple Store, not Best Buy. Would I have better luck at Best Buy? The people at my Best Buy are clueless.

5. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I doubt Best Buy would replace one for you. They will send you to the Apple Store. It all really depends on Apple GB to determine if he feels like swapping it out for you.

Good Luck. You shouldnt have any issues.

6. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

You're still covered by Applecare for the first year, you don't have to purchase anything.

That being said, put $10 on 22 for me. That number is hot tonight, I'd give it 1:10 odds.

7. bjquach macrumors 6502

Restore iphone and hand it to them. It all depends on who you get at the genius bar.

8. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

I brought my iphone to the apple store a few months ago because of a dead pixel, they said that because it's only one pixel they could not replace it but because there was dust under the screen they gave me a new one. I didn't even notice the dust under my screen :\

9. boxgamex macrumors newbie

I just went through this yesterday. If the Genius does see it fit that it needs to be fixed, they will not replace the whole unit. They apparently have a policy that if it is running 3.0, they will not replace it yet since the OS is beta. However, what happened for me is that the genius took the unit into the back and replaced the display assembly (basically the whole top of the phone besides the silver ring). It is definitely not a refurb unit since the back of the phone still has the same scratches and ect that mine had when he took it into the back.

10. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

In and out in 15 minutes, Genius was super nice (Even though she looked mean) and she just replaced the display. She was quite amused by how large the dust particle was, and the little colony beside it.

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I'm surprised, I've also heard that they won't replace iPhones running beta. Guess you got lucky.

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It wasn't a replacement. And if the issue is hardware-based they should still do a swap. This is a replacement of the glass after they clean the display. I just had this done two weeks ago and there were no questions. The genius was actually excited to see 3.0 and play with it.

Replaced just the glass, not the display.