What are the odds that upcoming refreshed iMacs will have...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rocknblogger, Mar 12, 2012.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I've been holding off buying a new iMac due to the upcoming refresh. But I saw something in another thread that go me thinking.

What are the odds that the upcoming iMacs will still have FireWire 800 port? I currently have two FW 800 drives that I plan to continue using.

I'm not even sure I should be waiting. The 10-15% bump in performance is negligible to me and I don't own any USB 3.0 devices and don't have any plans to buy any at this point.

The only thing I was hoping for was for a less expensive SSD option or a better performing SSD for the same price. Personally I don't think the SSD is going to come down in price given that it's a special order item and must be ordered at time of purchase. Push came to shove its also a lot easier to replace an SSD if you order the iMac with the upgrade, so if I really want better performance I can always upgrade it myself later on.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!!

B.

2. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

An iMac refresh is very probable. What is in it is less certain. If FireWire does disappear, that is probably part of a much bigger overhaul that is worth waiting for.

3. Bear macrumors G3

I say the odds are leaning towards it still having a FW800 port. And if not, you could always buy a refurbished 2011 iMac.

4. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Not sure, but every refresh makes Firewire less and less likely, i think. If the new refresh has firewire, i would guess it will be the last. Nothing but a guess, but Apple seems to really be pushing Thunderbolt, and getting rid of Firewire will help them do that.

5. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

If there's no news about a refresh by the end of the month I think I'll just go ahead and buy the current iMac. Then if something does drop within two weeks I can still return it if the new models are compelling enough.

6. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I bought a FW800/USB 3.0 external, so I should be good either way!

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

If Mar 31 is your deadline, save yourself some heartache and buy now. You won't hear anything by then.

As much as I would like the new one out NOW, I'm really thinking it's May based on what I can cobble together on Ivy Bridge production.

8. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I don't know. I know this refresh will more than likely just a spec bump and I would be perfectly happy with the current i7 but it's the unknown of the SSD options that's got me waiting.

I'm more interested in that than any other rumored or possible upgrade.