What are the odds we'll see a massive comparative review on Screen Protectors?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by noneother, Jul 26, 2010.

1. noneother macrumors member

I've been holding off on a screen protector for my iphone 4, I slapped some left over scraps from previous phones on it until we are able to determine the "clearest" I have only owned Zagg and BSE, I see a lot postive things about the SGP and Power Support screens...

any shot someone takes a full look at ALL the protectors, and lets us know which one delivers what characteristics?..

the silver bullet for me is clarity and ease of install.. which I THINK takes me to the Power Support Crystal.. however, no one has seen one yet?

any comments? or thoughts? sorry about another screen protector thread.. but all the others seem rather useless.. (not that this one isn't either)

of course I now see this thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=976787

which seems similar in nature - apologies

2. rmul86 macrumors 6502

I don't why people keep beating a dead horse, the dead horse being "what skin is the best skin?". You got to ask yourself what qualities you would like to see in a screen protector. Is it only protection? Texture? Scratch Resistance? Ease of installation? Dry app? Wet App? Here's how I break down the skins/films that are out there.

Wrapsol, Zagg IS, BSE, Ghost Armor, Phantom Skins, Body Guardz etc.

Wet Application with adhesive (some now have dry option). Orange Peel Effect and Rubbery Texture. Installation can be a biatch. You will never be able to replicate the nice glassy texture of your naked iphone with these skins, period. I don't care what anyone says. Yes, there are skins that have less orange peel effect, but you will never have one without this effect. They are all made of the same material. They are all durable, provide great protection, but these aren't for me because of the texture.

SGP

I have yet to try the SGP but I have to admit I am intrigued. From what I hear it has the best texture with minimal orange peel effect than those skins listed above. I might actually order and apply an SGP on my iphone until Power Support comes out with their front/back protectors.

Power Support Crystal films

As of stated previously, it's all about the texture for me. Well you cannot beat Power Supports crystal films. It's basically like putting a sheet of glass on your iphone glass. Installation is easy. The backing of the Power Support films has no adhesive, which is why it is so easy to install and easy to remove. The films are not "rubbery" like those other soft skins. It is a hard film. I will be ordering Power Supports front and back protectors once they are available to order. On top of that I will be using a bumper (maybe a vapor bumper if I want to really pimp out my phone).

3. noneother thread starter macrumors member

thanks.. that's pretty much my question what are the options, which skin provides which characteristics best? MY criteria, as you have addressed, is clarity and ease... Power Support,

the other question is, do you think, someone would actually place the various manufacturers and characteristics on a chart or comparison that can address other peoples concerns?

I ordered a vaja copy from Carrymobile coming, and hope to be using the Power Support (based on the recommendation above)

and a Otterbox commuter, when "outdoorsing" it with the family and friends...

4. rmul86 macrumors 6502

No idea...Just youtube those companies I described to you earlier and see for yourself.

5. Hennesie2000 macrumors 68000

I have always used power support but I am currently using a SGP EX series set for the front and back. The front looks ok good but the back has some areas at one corner and around the camera and flash where it just won't stick right. I will be ordering a set of the Power Supports now that they are shipping.

6. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I'm currently using what the AT&T store had. It was a set of 3 for $9.99. How do these compare to the Power Support? Should i buy the Power Support crystal when it comes out? These films seem a bit too visible.

7. OC513 macrumors 6502

Those are what I am using right now as well, made by case-mate. I have used Power Support on all my previous iPhones and the Cae-Mates arent even in the same league. The Power Supports are AMAZING. You can barely tell they are there unless you're actually looking for it.

8. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Ok, thanks for your opinion. I've always used PS too but i let my last one get so mucky i forgot how good it's supposed to look! Going to wait til they appear in stores. I read they charge over $5 to ship.

9. rmul86 macrumors 6502

I don't know what stores Power Support will be sending their products (if any), but an employee at apple said they will no longer carry screen protectors at the Apple Store.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I think it was because people would try to rush and apply them in a sand storm without taking proper care to clean off their screens and then carefully but swiftly applying the film.

Anyway I got generic but free screen protector that some case maker was handing out to those of us standing in line at ip4 launch. worked ok but it was really low quality and scratched up easily,which I suspect may happen with those ebay films that come like 10 in a pack (really? 10 for one phone? :D)

Now, i'm using the case-mate films that walmart had for about 10 bucks and they are visually much better than the one I had BUT imo the fit of the cut is horrible. I placed the film directly in proportion to the home button but now it isn't covering the uppermost edge of the glass. So, if I would have placed it with relation to the edge, I would have ended up going over the button or the camera.

So those films will be going back and I will just get the power support set like i've always done. The preciseness of the cut and the optical quality make it well worth it. As long as you take your time in the application, one film will work well (I typically have mine on for more than a year). Anyone who says they are overpriced more than likely have never used them.

I will try to post pix whenever I get mine.