What ARE the physical differences between iPad2 and the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JUiCEJamie, Mar 10, 2012.

1. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

I know this might be a difficult question to answer with so little people having hands-on time with the device. - I just like to know what generation a device is when I see someone with one.

From what I can see/read. The bezel has changed slightly, right?
    It looks thinner from the pictures I can see.

Also, the taper is slightly different too isn't it?

I know the most obvious answer is to look at the screen, but iPads aren't always not in standby.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPad 3 is slightly thicker. When the screen is off, the retina display is very black. Where the non-retina is a gray/brownish colour.

3. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

6/10ths of a millimeter added thickness (like the cardboard backing of a legal pad) and a couple of ounces more mass. Not likely to be a visible difference.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The back case is slightly thicker with more of a taper. The rear camera is physically a big larger. I think that's really about it.

5. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Top Tip: It will probably be less creepy to just ask the stranger at Starbucks "is that the new iPad?" rather than to lean in, squinting up close at their device.

6. JUiCEJamie thread starter macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

haha! With characteristics so small this time, I think that's the better option.

7. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

I went to Tokyo the first day after I got my gen 1 iPad the first week they were available. There's an amusing photo of me in a magazine of the time there surrounded by a flock of schoolgirls wanting a look.

I must have been directly approached by about 200 people over 10 days, which I would have thought to be very unusual in that culture. All were polite and only a couple were "creepy".

8. psychspirit macrumors member

In that case I will probably get the iPad 2..priced lower now. I like my devices thinner.

9. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I like how what you just said has absolutely nothing to do with the topic in any way.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Physical differences:

Thicker
    Weight
    Camera
    CPU
    GPU
    Screen
    Wireless chipset
    Battery

FYI all information was easily gathered from the Apple website.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Unless you're characteristic of the Princess and the Pea, I think you would be very hard pressed to discern a 0.6mm difference without the two devices side by side. That's just over two one-hundredths of an inch.