What ARE the physical differences between iPad2 and the new iPad?

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
I know this might be a difficult question to answer with so little people having hands-on time with the device. - I just like to know what generation a device is when I see someone with one.

From what I can see/read. The bezel has changed slightly, right?
It looks thinner from the pictures I can see.

Also, the taper is slightly different too isn't it?

I know the most obvious answer is to look at the screen, but iPads aren't always not in standby.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The iPad 3 is slightly thicker. When the screen is off, the retina display is very black. Where the non-retina is a gray/brownish colour.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I know this might be a difficult question to answer with so little people having hands-on time with the device. - I just like to know what generation a device is when I see someone with one.

From what I can see/read. The bezel has changed slightly, right?
It looks thinner from the pictures I can see.

Also, the taper is slightly different too isn't it?

I know the most obvious answer is to look at the screen, but iPads aren't always not in standby.
6/10ths of a millimeter added thickness (like the cardboard backing of a legal pad) and a couple of ounces more mass. Not likely to be a visible difference.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
The back case is slightly thicker with more of a taper. The rear camera is physically a big larger. I think that's really about it.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Top Tip: It will probably be less creepy to just ask the stranger at Starbucks "is that the new iPad?" rather than to lean in, squinting up close at their device.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Top Tip: It will probably be less creepy to just ask the stranger at Starbucks "is that the new iPad?" rather than to lean in, squinting up close at their device.
haha! With characteristics so small this time, I think that's the better option.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I went to Tokyo the first day after I got my gen 1 iPad the first week they were available. There's an amusing photo of me in a magazine of the time there surrounded by a flock of schoolgirls wanting a look.

I must have been directly approached by about 200 people over 10 days, which I would have thought to be very unusual in that culture. All were polite and only a couple were "creepy".

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I went to Tokyo the first day after I got my gen 1 iPad the first week they were available. There's an amusing photo of me in a magazine of the time there surrounded by a flock of schoolgirls wanting a look.

I must have been directly approached by about 200 people over 10 days, which I would have thought to be very unusual in that culture. All were polite and only a couple were "creepy".
I like how what you just said has absolutely nothing to do with the topic in any way.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Physical differences:

Thicker
Weight
Camera
CPU
GPU
Screen
Wireless chipset
Battery

FYI all information was easily gathered from the Apple website.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
In that case I will probably get the iPad 2..priced lower now. I like my devices thinner.
Unless you're characteristic of the Princess and the Pea, I think you would be very hard pressed to discern a 0.6mm difference without the two devices side by side. That's just over two one-hundredths of an inch.