What are the possible justifications for the price hike between Smart Cover iPad Pro 9.7 & iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gelorobinson, Aug 8, 2016.

1. gelorobinson macrumors newbie

today i wanted to buy a Smart Cover for my iPad Pro 9.7. I didn't expect the iPad Air Smart Cover to fit, but what I didn't expect was there to be a £10/$10 price difference. The iPad Pro 9.7 case of equal size, and material come in at £39 and the iPad Air's case at £29.

What a bloody rip off.

The reason was explained to me as the smart connector (?!) somehow being responsible. The apple retail store also conveniently removed all iPad Air Smart covers from display so it doesn't become so obvious.

Personally I think it's greed, but maybe it's something else?! Currency fluctuations (especially between USD/GBP) but that wouldn't explain the USD price difference. Different materials?

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The Smart Connector plays no factor in the Smart Cover. I don't believe it is a technical reason, but a marketing one.

First, the hinge on the smart covers for the iPP are different than for the non-Pro iPads. Second, Apple probably projected lower sales volumes for the Pro smart covers. Both of these reasons could factor into an increase in manufacturing cost that is passed on to the customer. Of course, it could be nothing more complicated than increased profit margins.

3. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Not that it justifies the price difference in my eyes, but the iPP SC is heavier and thicker than the Air covers.