Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garvo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
I'm in the early stages of planning to buy a new Mac Pro. Just waiting for Snow Leopard before I pull the trigger.

I've read over the Apple site a few times, but don't really understand what the practical differences are between the Nvidia card and the ATI.

I'm primarily using After Effects & Photoshop, driving 1 (may go to 2) 23" DVI display, and may occasionally play some Windows games (BF2, et al) under Bootcamp.

Given that kind of a workload, will I see any benefit to ordering the ATI card, or should I spend the money on more RAM instead?

Mac Husky

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2009
Bavaria, Germany
Just waiting for Snow Leopard before I pull the trigger.
So am I, but latest rumours are like it will at the earliest be August or September when Snow Leopard is finished to be available in the shops - even if it will be announced in June. But it would be of interest to me, how SL will influence the speed of 4-core and 8-core systems especially for single core apps to decide between a quad and an 8-core. Hoping that SL will increase the speed in single core use of the 2.26 8-core significantly. Have no idea if this is realistic? Otherwise I would go for the quad. On the other hand: August is kind of to far away...

By the way: did you see this thread on same topic?

Garvo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks for the info & links guys.

From what I've read, it looks like the real benefit of the ATI card is strictly 3D. AE & PS won't be impacted very much.

Thanks

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
I thought AE (or specifically Media Encoder CS4) off loads H.264 exports to the GPU. Or is that only on the windows side?

EDIT: Also a quick look into the AE CS4 preferences says "enable openGL", so a faster GPU could help with some things in AE.

Garvo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
I'd like to see some benchmarks on h.264 encoding with the GT120 vs. 4870. If it's significant, it would be worth it for me.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
For anyone looking for the answer to this question, here's the best article I've found on the subject:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/04/266ghz-8-core-mac-pro-review.ars

lol....
The Good
  • Ridiculous speed for multi-threaded 3D rendering in certain applications
  • Even better internal layout than previous models
  • Still a very quiet workstation overall
  • Good power consumption-to-speed ratio
The Bad
  • Eight-core machines are very expensive
  • RAM slot count not well matched to triple-channel memory
  • No adapters included for mini DisplayPort to DVI
  • No workstation-class 3D card option and GT 120 graphics card is painfully underpowered
  • Currently, very few applications make full use of eight cores and sixteen threads
The Ugly
  • Anyone want to buy a used Quadro FX 5600?

er... nope!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.