What are the Rarest Apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by braddick, Aug 4, 2009.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Other than, "I Am Rich" what apps were pretty much pulled shortly after being released, thus making them rare?

And, do you own any of them? Although, obviously updates are not provided for apps that are quickly killed, does Apple simply take the app away upon a sync if the app is no longer available?
    For example, if someone downloaded Shaken Baby (I think that is what it was called) and it is quickly banned for being offensive, does Apple take the app back upon the next sync to iTunes?

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

The tethering app, name escapes me right this second.

And no, if you buy/download an app that is later removed, it is never removed from your device. (Unless the app is dangerous and the kill switch is pulled.)

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

NetShare (I think that's what it was called).

Slipped past Apple and made it into the App Store, before being pulled at the request of AT&T. Basically, it allowed people to tether.

EDIT: The same app that Jeremy referred to.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

I remember that one. It was $9.95 and I hesitated to download it. When I decided to later in the afternoon it had already been pulled.

I take it, those who did see the vision and purchased it are able to still use it today?

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I believe so, it would've been a time where Apple using their 'kill switch' would make sense, but apparently people that have the app are still able to use it. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere there's people here at MR that have the app.

6. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Chipotle ordering app. I snagged it as I was home sick from work that day. Now when you try to order it just says "Cannot communicate with Chipotle supercomputer."

7. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Heck yeah.. still have & use NetShare - one of my most used apps. If you jailbreak, there is a very similar app on Cydia called PdaNet.

8. adster macrumors regular

Yes! I remember that. They promised to revamp their ordering system and to re-release it. It's been 6 months and not a peep.

9. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Delicious Library wasn't up for long. It's a searchable (not editable) copy of your delicious library catalogue (your books/cd's/dvd's) on your phone,

amazon asked for it to be pulled, as the desktop app pulls it's data from amazon, and then puts it on the iphone. Amazon clearly misread their own API terms of service as it says a mobile device is not allowed to do this, but the desktop is, which is what library was doing.

10. LinMac macrumors 65816

11. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I own "Tris" which was Tetris before Tetris was released. It was free, too!

12. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

DuckHunt

Looks just like the nes. Got it for 99c.

13. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Tris...

I wish I still had my ipa. I loved that app.

14. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I've had this too, but deleted it a long time ago. The controls were terrible.

15. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Yep, works just fine. I snagged it the moment I heard about it and it was gone a couple of hours later.

Not exactly rare. It was up for a few months and purchased by a lot of people. Many of us were waiting for it to show up in the store after it was announced by the developer.

16. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

Aquatica.

The game was up shortly them removed because copyright issues. I believe.
    It copied the game fl0w on the ps3 or something. Correct me if I'm wrong. But the game is preety nice. Kind of like Spore.

17. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

I also downloaded that game. I remember it either being free or close to it and because it did 'feel' like Spore, got it.

I did delete it soon afterward though and, of course, once that is done it can't be retrieved.

Pools of Blood was a game I thought was going to be scarce as the regular version, the one I downloaded when it first was released, soon afterward couldn't be located in the store but rather a lite version was offered in its place.
    iTunes kept wanting me to download and update but there wasn't one for the game. I was afraid at the time if I did respond to iTunes the game would be lost forever.
    Well, fast forward a week afterward and sure enough, the regular version shows up again in the store with mild changes so turned out not be rare afterall.

18. toanavinai macrumors member

Whoa whoa whoa. They yanked Tris?

*guards his copy* Love this app.

19. sladey macrumors regular

I got Delicious Library before Apple pulled it and so far it hasn't been auto-deleted which I had suspected may have happened. It even made the transition from my 3G to my 3GS.

It's one of my favourite apps.

20. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I have Tris and NetShare.

21. ValentineNicole macrumors newbie

really? I had a tetris style app that just disappeared one day after syncing...:confused:

22. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

23. deankaradimas macrumors newbie

do you still have the app?

could you post the .ipa if you do? ive been looking for it for months..

PLEASSEEEE? :p

24. Powermax macrumors regular

Because of the DRM, sharing the ipa file won't work. You'd need the iTunes password from the original buyer.