What are the requirements for Emoji?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrkgoo, Feb 13, 2009.

1. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I have the emoji keyboard enabled. However, when sending emoji to another iPhone, they do not receive the message (SMS). And I don't mean they don't see the emoji - they do not receive the text entirely! They are on 2.2 as well and receive texts without emoji normally. Emails are also received and they show up fine.

Are there carrier requirements for emoji in SMS? Does a receiving carrier need to 'understand' the emoji? What about sending? For the record, I am on T-mobile, 2.2.1, and sending to an overseas iPhone on 2.2. Do emoji need to be enabled on the other iphone to receive them in SMS?

I don't particularly mind either way, I'm just curious as to how it all works.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Apparently it has to be within the same carrier. Another member of the board sent me an SMS using his AT&T iPhone with the Emoji icons, and they didn't appear.

So then I sent the icons to someone I know that has Rogers (has a 1st gen iPhone too), and he received it. Unfortunately, it crashed his iPhone haha, but it's probably cause his is jailbroken and full of crap.

3. mrkgoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. No wonder Apple have not enabled it. If they did you'd get endless complaints about it not working and wondering why, and those that understand why still saying Apple are ripping them off. Probably just a limitation with SMS.

Thanks again, this was bugging me to no end.

4. mrkgoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmmm, the mystery goes on. I have found one person who CAN receive my emoji. They are on another carrier, in another country (not Japan).

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

My girlfriend can receive emoji just fine from me, she is on a first gen Unlocked iPhone on t-mobile (didn't use the jailbreak emoji method to unlock either...) and I am on a 3G on O2 and all works fine.

6. mrkgoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I don't think the phone matters so much - it must be to do with carriers.