What are the risks of jailbreaking 1.1.4?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by espire, Jul 2, 2008.

1. espire macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I recently acquired a 16GB iPod touch, running firmware 1.1.4. I'm interested in the exciting opportunities that jailbreaking can bring, but I'm worried about harmful things that can happen if I do it. They are really only two main worries:

1) Jailbreaking will somehow ruin the iPod. I have experience with bricked devices before, and it's not fun. Is there any chance at all that I will not be able to rescue my iPod, should something go wrong? Is there any record of even the method of holding the buttons while plugged in not working?

2) Jailbreaking will not be irrreversible. I remember stories of iPhones being bricked just because they were jailbroken, and the users tried to upgrade the firmware. I also remember stories of iPhone warranties being revoked because Apple store employees could tell that they'd been jailbroken, even if the phone was restored. Do either of these happen with the touch? Most importantly, will I have any problem, should I want to pay for the upgrade to firmware 2.0?

Thanks in advance to whoever can help me. Your guidance is heavily appreciated :)

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

both are impossible, bricking is impossible, restore is always there, and there is no bricked mode. If you restore, all visible traces are gone, but if you want the memory cleared that is under settings

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

really the only problem you might face is the jailbreak goes wrong but as PMB has said theres always recovery mode to the rescue if anything goes wrong.

4. mrfishy macrumors newbie

mrfishy

Yeah, I was jailbreaking mine with ZiPhone and it wouldn't work (I always got the infamous BSD error). So all I needed to do was hold the lock button and the home button at the same time to put it into recovery mode, then hook it up to iTunes and it was fine. There is absolutely nothing that could go wrong. Jailbreaking the iPod makes it AMAZING.

5. espire thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to take the plunge, and 24 hours later, I'm glad that I did it.

Thanks!

6. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

wow

you had the power to wait that long. after i got mine and on the way home sitting looking at that black screen and the 7 defalt apps. (love the maps app) but knew it could do SO MUCH MORE. and yes i seen the new SDK come out with the 2.0 and APPSTORE. but after paying for a ipod touch the last thing you want to see is a anohter cost. and if you think about it. it seems like apple is trying to strip all they can from us. they charge 10$ just the get the SDK (installer) then charge for all the good apps. they try to phish us in with the bogus free apps they list.. :apple:

7. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Yeah no kidding about free apps!@

I was so pissed at epocrates.. "FREE!.. except if you want to actually use the program"

I think this is because Apple would charge 30% if they sold it on the app store.

calling it "free" and then charging after install probably saves money... but it's so freakin annoying.