what are the rumors if the macbooks unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by roletti2007, Mar 5, 2010.

1. roletti2007 macrumors member

hey, i have a macbook pro 15' 2008 model its served me well thus far i've been thinking of selling it and getting a macbook, the specs of the macbook are better than my macbook pro. but i've been hearing that the macbook's overheat, are they as reliable as the pro's?
    or should u stay with what i have? thanks in advance

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

3. roletti2007 thread starter macrumors member

the harddrive is bigger, the macbook pro i have is 200 gb, the macbook is 250gb
    the macbook pro is 2.4, the macbook is 2.26

4. gerabbi macrumors regular

I don't have any overheating problems. I've not heard of that problem with the Unibody Whitebook. I've not had mine that long but so far it's been a very competent machine.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

50GB hard drive is not "better", especially if you have a 7200RPM vs a 5400RPM (in the MacBook). Furthermore, you can upgrade your 200GB to a 500GB 7200RPM for ~$100.

The CPU in the MacBook Pro is 2.4GHz... the MacBook is a 2.26GHz... I don't see how 2.26 is better then 2.4?

The video card in the MacBook Pro is most likely the nVidia 8600GT. Even though its considered "defective", it's twice the power as the nVidia's 9400M model.

Bottom line, the MacBook's aren't better then what you have currently.

6. roletti2007 thread starter macrumors member

thanks, i thought 2.26GHz was faster than 2.4GHz. regardless i'm looking for a smaller laptop also plus i have a dead pixel or two, plus i want a machine with the full warranty an all too after this i'm not gonna buy anything for awhile. i only use my mac's for word processing and research listening to music and watching movies i don't play games or anything like that

7. roletti2007 thread starter macrumors member

oh and what do you mean by "defective?"

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

9. roletti2007 thread starter macrumors member

10. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Were you / are you bad with math at School? 2.4GHz means 2.40GHz, not 2.04GHz. 2.26GHz can be considered 2.2 GHz or 2.3GHz depending if the person wants to make numbers look better

And the MacBook has a 2.26GHz and the MacBook Pro a 2.26GHz too the single difference (hardware wise) is the HDD, the MacBook Pro has a smaller 160GB vs the White MacBook's 250GB, that's just because the MacBook Pro is outdated.
    The MacBook Pro screen also has a 60% Better color gamut, SD card slot, Firewire, Battery indicator, backlit keyboard and a better body, the MBP has no heating problems, nor the White MacBook, that just happened to older generations.
    If i were you I'd wait for the new MacBook Pro, if you can't wait, still get the MacBook Pro, i think that just those features like the better body makes it worth it the extra 200$

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I've owned both a MacBook and a MacBook Pro and the MacBook didn't have any problems:D Go for it!

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I would say though (going myself from a 2.33Ghz macbook pro with dedicated graphics to a 2.13 macbook with 9400) that differences I have noted have been all graphics-based:

1. age of empires 3 doesn't seem to run so well,

(and crucially)

2. the 9400 can only play channel 4 OD with a juddery framerate

13. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

I'd wait for the 'NEW MacBook Pro' or not...
    I myself as a White Unibody MacBook owner. I'd have to say it serves me well...
    Editing Video wise(FCP, iMovie 09, Motion 4, LiveType), Editing Photo's (Aperture 3, and Photoshop 3) Watching Videos, Playing games (Bioshock COD4, Sims 3 etc..) Runs really well, on stock specs, sooner or later might bump the ram to 4gb

If you don't want to wait then go ahead and buy the unibody MacBook.

Or you can go with $200 more for the Pro 13"

Backlight keys, smaller hdd, SD/Firewire, and a 60% Color Gamut than the MacBook.

It's your call really.

Also check out my Gallery Pictures of the MacBook at my deviantart just to see what it feels like
    http://markcooz.deviantart.com/gallery/#White-MacBook-Unibody

14. slade1988 macrumors newbie

With that said - how are the new '256BG 'solid-state' hard drives in comparison to the 5400 & 7200 rpm drives? - I mean, is the money difference THAT much worth the extra costs?

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Depends on how you justify 2x speed for read/write. If you need the speed, for your job or work for example, then it could be very useful. If you just want the latest technology, then you have to ask yourself, can you afford to keep up with the latest trends? If you can't, then don't get one. They are much faster than HDDs, but at the moment, since they haven't been out too long, they are generally too expensive for the average consumer.

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The processor in the MacBook and MacBook Pro are not the same. The clock speed is the same but the MacBook uses a P7550/P7570 Processor

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42167

And the MacBook Pro uses a P8400 processor.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35569

Where's the overheating problems you describe? They have the same interior design. Therefore any heat problems will occur on BOTH machines not just one.

17. roletti2007 thread starter macrumors member

typical forum #$%^, why do you have to say something stupid?....i'm so sorry i'm not as smart as you are when it comes to the world of computers can you ever forgive me?