What are the secrets to iPhone screen protectors? ...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cmeisenzahl, Apr 30, 2012.

1. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

When placing a clear plastic screen protector on an iPhone, it seems like voodoo to accomplish any of these, let alone all of them.

A screen protector that is:

1. applied straight/even
    2. doesn't peel at the edges
    3. has no lint, bubbles, or 'schmutz' under it
    4. looks decent, nice tactile feedback

So what am I missing here? is the secret buying the right brand of protector? The application itself? Both? ;-)

Thanks!
    Chris

2. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

When installing I try to "pinch" the 2 long edges of the screen protector so that the very middle of the protector is the first area to come in contact with the phone. I then slowly "un-pinch" my fingers and let the proctor slowly slide into place. Just like a pinch to zoom on your iOS devices.

Once it is completely flat I just rub out the few bubbles that are there and they come up perfect every time. The one we use is this http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2330VC/A

I find it to be the best screen protector that I have ever tried to install. None of that wet solution. I myself do not uses screen protector anymore, but if I did I would use this one. I used to have a ZAGG on my old 3g but the "orange peel" affect didn't look good at all. Protection was great though for the ZAGG.

3. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

Use Scotch tape to get dust out from under the screen. Just peel up a corner and only lift as much as needed. Slide a please of scotch tape under the protector and use it to get the dust out. I do this and have "0" specks of dust under my protectors. :)

4. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Mainly the application except 4, obviously, is dependent on the protector that you select. They get easier the more of them that you apply. You need to have patience. Try test fitting to ensure that you know exactly how the first edge needs to be lined up to fit the screen protector properly. If you're in a dusty environment then use the shower trick. All discussed quite a bit in many of the former screen protector threads.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Apply the screen protector in the bathroom with the shower running hot - the steam will stop any dust accumulating and ensure you get a dust-free application of your screen protector

7. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

For me the secret is tape, just like BrandonZ.

Also If misaligned I lift it with the tape and re-position it.

8. KatherineYH macrumors newbie

What are the secrets to iPhone screen protectors?

Latest generation of screen protectors don't require any liquid applicator to be able to apply them without bubbles. I dont have problems with iPhone, there are light scratches on my 3GS for example, but I can't see them unless I look closely when it's off.

9. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Everyone in my family brings their screen protectors to me to put on. I have a little kit with a microfiber cloth and card and a roll of scotch tape. Gotten pretty good at it over the years haha.

10. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Forget the steam room method. It doesn't work that well and you will still have to get the dirt and oil out. Instead use

SCOTCH TAPE

Dust is plainly visible. Bubbles can be smoothed out with a squeegee (or credit card) or are the result of oil between the surface and the film, probably from your skin. Clean the iphone as much as you can with a microfiber cloth before you put on the film to eliminate the oil. Then just slap it on, don't worry TOO MUCH about alignment yet because you WILL get dust or bubbles in there. Tape will lift off both dust or oil, so no worries:

1) Use a squeegee or card to smooth/push out the bubbles. Bubbles that won't go away are from your skin oil/dirt or dust, so:

2) Use scotch tape to lift the film and use another piece of scotch tape to lift dust/oil off the iphone or bottom of film where there are bubbles or dust.

3) Repeat until all looks good

4) Use scotch tape to lift the film and attempt to re-align it on your iphone. Don't touch the bottom of the film with your fingers. This is where edge peeling comes from. Again, your getting your oil on there hinders the clinging effect of the film. Use the scotch tape.

5) Repeat until it looks good.

6) Go back to step one until there is no dust or oil and the film is properly aligned.

It's really not that hard at all once you realize the magic of scotch tape. I'm a clumsy oaf with ogre fingers and I can get it in under 10 min with no flaws. I usually go through these steps 2 or three times.

11. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I use 3M packing tape (it's transparent and doesn't leave residue) to get the foreign matter off the screen and film.

What is the best screen protector for the 4s? I have one that came with my Otterbox Commuter that I loved, but I dropped my phone this weekend and the protector did its job and took the damage. Now it's all scarred and is driving me nuts looking at it.

12. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Why are people using screen protectors anyways? The current screens are extremely scratch resistant. I have carried my 4 around for a year w/o one & not a single mark. What is the reasoning to sacrificing 30% sensitivity & $7-$15? Fingerprints? Anti-glare? What am I missing?

13. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

You've been fortunate. The screens will/do scratch.

14. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I'm 100% sure my screen would've been scratched this weekend if I hadn't had a screen protector on it. I was actually considering taking it off last week. Man, I'm glad I didn't. :D

15. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I'm 100% sure that I didn't loose 30% of my sensitivity.

16. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Piece of mind. I don't have to worry about it when I put it down.

17. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I tried this method on my girlfriends phone. It worked perfectly. There was one little bubble, but it seemed to be easier to smooth out in the moist air.

18. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

No need to waste gas and water on a steam shower. Just use tape people. TAPE!

19. writeronfire macrumors newbie

Patience

The perfect screen protecter comes in the form of buying at least 10 and forking out extra for anger management classes :D