What are the video editor options for macs?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by firstapple, Oct 29, 2008.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Hello all,

I will be receiving a Canon HV20 soon and I was wondering what the different video editing options are out there available for macs?

I am running an alum. iMac (2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro). I know about FCP & FCE, what are some other options? I am looking at really only doing home videos of my niece and nephew, as well as my pets (But of course I want them to look good).

Which do you prefer and why?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you could try using iMovie which comes free with all Macs. Adobe Premiere, Media Composer etc. for a full list go here.

3. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Hey there, thanks for the link!

I have the opportunity to purchase Final Cut Express 4.0 from the University for $69. Is it worth it for me to do so? What benefits could I get out of Final Cut Express when using my Canon HV20? I checked out the Apple store hoping to find a trial of it, but I didn't see anything of the sort. However, I did find a bunch of negative reviews. What do you all think? Can my iMac even run Final Cut Express?

4. budha macrumors member

I currently edit on FCE... As long as you are using a DV camera or the newer P2 cards for your vids, FCE will be fine. Sure it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of FCP, but it will only cost you 70 bucks compared to 700. You can learn the software, get used to it, and still be able to do a great deal of editing w/ it.

cheers

5. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

Not to divert out but HV20/HV30 Forum hv20.com is where we hash out your camera's questions

6. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Thanks for the reply budha! $70 isn't that much to spend as long as I can make it worthwhile. I am brand new to the HD Camcorder world, so I now have to ask... What are P2 cards? The HV20 I am getting is a HD camcorder that records on miniDV's.

This isn't only about the HV20, but also editing software in general. I also am part of the HV20 community (signed up a few days ago).

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

FCE is great. its just a toned down version of Final Cut Pro and will handle your video editing fine. the iMac wil also handle FCE easily.

im not sure what the negative reviews are about but theyre probably form users who will benefit from FCP. for some unbiased reviews just Google for "final cut express 4 review" and pick a random link.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

any form of final cut...either pro or express. Premiere isn't bad to. I haven't tried any of the CS versions but i'm sure they are decent. Stay away from Avid...(god dam that stupid red arrow--grrr)

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Segment mode, eh?

10. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

arg... reading this thread at work... and staring at the red arrow right now...

to the OP, FCE will probably be the best bang for your buck... simple and works just fine with an HV20.