What are these applications??

gregbenj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
I went to Login Items under accounts and found that I am running, at login, some suspicious applications. They are: ExpanderDaemon (application) and SpeechSynthesisServer (application) Neither of these will spotlight...

What are these? and why are they running at login?

Any help is greatly appreciated

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
ExpanderDaemon is something to do with Stuffit if I remember correctly...I could be wrong.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yep...ExpanderDaemon is related to Stuffit Expander and SpeechSynthesisServer is related to Apple's Speakable Items...do you have that turned on?

gregbenj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
I have speech greeting that welcomes me back after I have been away enabled for ichat....would that do it??

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I don't really know much of anything about it, but it certainly seems reasonable.

gregbenj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
thanks

but i have another question if you don't mind. It's relating back to the user login option in the sys prefs. I have Mail opening during login. I want the program to run, but I do not want the window opening. So I check 'hide' by Mail in the login options tab in accounts. Yet, when I log in, the window for mail still opens. any suggestions??

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
That's a bug that's been around for a while. Lots of people have griped about it, but for some reason Apple has never fixed it. There is an AppleScript workaround for it though.

Edit: Oops...the link in the blog post doesn't work. You can get HiddenMail here though. It says it's only for PPC machines...don't know if it would work on Intel machines or what you have.

gregbenj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
thanks! the link no longer works... but i'll try to hunt around for it

jkirsakmens

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
I went to Login Items under accounts and found that I am running, at login, some suspicious applications. They are: ExpanderDaemon (application) and SpeechSynthesisServer (application) Neither of these will spotlight...

What are these? and why are they running at login?
According to
http://triviaware.com/macprocess/all
SpeechSynthesisServer.app is "Framework that provides a standardized method for Macintosh applications to generate synthesized speech." As this is bundled within Mac OS X you can assume that it is safe.