What are these... multi colored halogen bulbs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macrlz9, Feb 2, 2010.

1. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I have been searching trying to find out what kind of bulbs these are, what they are called, and where I can get them. Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction? I love the effect.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silbeej macrumors 6502a

I'd say they are lights through a prism or some kind of colored glass, since as you get closer to 90degrees from the straight down angle the color changes.

3. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

It's kinda hard to tell by the picture, but it is actually the bulb alone. It looks like a halogen bulb with no filter or cover or anything so I believe it's a special kind of bulb.

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

What you are seeing is most likely an MR16 source with a dichroic glass color filter. Dichroic glass has the property that when looked at straight on, it's one color, but as you tilt it at an angle and look through it, you see a different color. Many that I use are a very dark blue straight on, but turn pink at the edges. Sometimes, it's bad enough that I can't use them.

With the wider angle beam spread of the lamp used, light is going through the glass straight down for the pink, and as the light starts spreading wider, and passing through the glass at an angle, it starts to turn yellow/green. Not always the desired effect, but it can be used as such, as you see.

Dichroic color filters are great for true, saturated colors on narrower beam fixtures.

I can tell you numerous places to buy these, but most of my sources would be from professional lighting dealers.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Could be MR16 LEDs. You can get them in most colours/colour changing or as white/warm white halogen replacements. I have some in my bathroom at home to cut power consumption.

6. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Thank you so much for the information. I'm looking online for MR16 Dichroic Reflector Lamps but how would I know if they would give off the same effect as shown in the pictures? Is there a specific key word to look for? Of course none of the websites I found show pictures of the bulb lit up against a wall like these are.

Or can you recommend a site for me?

I greatly appreciate both of your help!

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

Here are a few sites with dichroic filters. I can't say whether any particular filter will achieve exactly that effect with the magenta in the center, and the yellow/green on the outside. Different manufacturers have different specs.

Rosco...I'd think #34630 Hot Pink would be pretty close.

Apollo Design Technology...DI-8820 Magenta Medium or DI-8675 Deep Pink might do it.

Lee Filters...M56 Magenta

Like I said, I'm not saying any of the filters I named, or even the manufacturers I named, will give you the result you want. In fact, I ordered some replacement dichros a few weeks ago for another project, and while the originals did not do this effect, the new ones did and it ruined the look. Had to replace them again.

The above manufacturers do not sell direct, so you'd have to go through a dealer. I'm sure they all have dealers listed on their websites. There are also countless smaller companies you could find on the internet which probably do sell direct.

When dealing with dichroics, and especially with MR16 lamps, pay attention to instructions. There is a certain side of the dichro which faces the lamp. Put it in backwards, and they will usually crack soon.

9. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Lots of great information. Thank you again, I think I will call some of these companies to find out specifically what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!