What are these "neighborhood" things in my shared section?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by J the Ninja, Mar 4, 2010.

1. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

They are all empty, they just sit there in my "Shared" section. What are they? How do I get rid of them? This is 10.6.2, btw.

[​IMG]

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

You are either on a shared internet connection with other people, or people are on YOUR internet connection. These are their machines. If they are on your internet connection, your security stinks and you should encrypt it with a password. If you're on THEIR connect, get off, stop being a leach. If you're on a shared internet connection, there is nothing you can do, it doesn't really effect you anyway.

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Those don't look like computers on your network.....those would have either the Mac icon for the computer, or the generic screen icon for a PC.

Those look like sites you've somehow connected to via the Finder?

-Kevin

4. gibsonjsh macrumors newbie

Having the same issues...

I'm having exactly the same issues. However, when I'm connected to a different network the neighborhoods change. It's quite annoying and they're sites that I don't even go to - just random URLs. Malware?

Has anyone found out any way to remove these?

5. wellingtonwimpy macrumors member

I'm just bumping this on the chance that someone passing by might have an answer. I've been having the exact same problem – strange shared networks that are clearly websites, not other computers – and I haven't found an answer anywhere. I've been to two different Apple stores and multiple "geniuses" were completely stumped. Is this just a bug in Mac OS, or is there a security concern I need to be attentive to? Surely someone somewhere must know.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Maybe you used any of those sites via FTP in Finder, and now they stick around? Right-click and "Get Info" them, and see what they have to say.