What are these things??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soccersquirt82, Mar 25, 2008.

1. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

I have YouControl (an app to customize the menu bar), and one tells the CPU usage. It was really high, so I looked to see what apps were taking so much CPU use. I thought iSquint would be taking a lot, but two apps listed as "movtoy4m" and "ffmpeg" were taking up about 70% on each space. The other apps are listed as "iSquint," "iTunes," "Safari," etc. What are these apps?? I'm scared they're viruses.

2. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. . . could this be why my quicktime videos on the web won't work? Should I keep this app, or should I get rid of it? If I should get rid of it, how do I delete it?? I don't remember downloading anything like this. I've only downloaded (for quicktime) Perian and Flip4Mac. Did it come with these? Why is it running right now? (I only have iSquint converting two movies, iTunes, Safari, and Mail running.)

3. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Don't panic.

ffmpeg is an open-source video conversion tool. It is a conversion procedure that are used commonly by many video player. In your case, ffmpeg is used in ISquint.

Here's an article on it:-

http://www.isquint.org/readme.php

Take note of the FAQ.

To proof to yourself that indeed ffmpeg is associated with ISquint, open Activity Monitor, make sure ffmpeg and ISquint is present. Scroll down and click ISquint, and click "Quit Process". This will terminate ISquint, and you will not see ffmpeg listed anymore. Alternatively, you can just quit ISquint youself, and you should see the same result.

It is normal that you are seeing high CPU usage as you are video converting files. That shouldn't come at a surprise.

4. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much!! I was freaking out over nothing.

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

No problem. FYI, there are no known viruses for mac. So don't you worry!:)