What are these tools on my pocket knife?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Jul 13, 2009.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I've had this Victorinox Cybertool since Xmas and I haven't learned what either of these tools are/for. I know the second one is a type of knife (obviously) but it is unique with the hole. And I'm just stumped by the hook.

[See Attached Pictars]

Attached Files:

2. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

The one without the hook is an awl / leather sewing needle. Can be used as a rough hand drill in soft wood, or punch holes in leather (like after thankgiving dinner and you need to let the belt out a notch)..

The hook can be used also for sewing together canvas or leather, to reach in and grab the "thread" or leather strap, and pull it through.

The awl is especially handy for cutting holes in the palm of your hand. Trust me.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

1: Ancient Egyptian tool used to remove the brain through the nose prior to embalming.

2: Pokey thing. Used for poking things in a non-lethal fashion.

4. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

The second picture is an awl/reamer. You've got a Victorinox, so I suppose that's an awl. Used for punching holes through material like leather, wood and supposedly, sheet metal. That hole is there for sewing leather together.

As for the hook, got me there. First one I've seen on a Swiss Army Knife.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Also good for home vasectomies.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've actually had a look on the Victorinox website, and the pointy thing is described as a 'reamer with sewing eye' – so essentially it's what gilkisson described. The hook meanwhile is described as a 'Hook', meaning you use it to, er, hook stuff.

Like ducks, maybe.

On some of the swankier knives it's described as a 'Multi-purpose hook', so it seems to have a variety of useful uses!

7. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Ah excellent. Though I'm wondering if they should have put something more useful on there.

Like maybe a magnifying lens or something.

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

1. Pull your sleeve down over your hand and pretend to be Captain Hook.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Some models, such as the version which goes by the name of "Explorer", do, in fact, have a magnifying lens.

Cheers

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

They do actually make models that have them – there's some bizarre stuff they actually put in those things. You can even get them with torches and USB memory sticks now.

11. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I know they're still making useful tools but Victorinox/Wenger needs to change their motto to: "The perfect gift for dad's birthday when you can't think of anything else."

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

People who have TOO much time on their hands, a big bulge in their pocket, and don't want to get through security at the airport.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Promoting celibacy?

14. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

You can use the hook to scare the crap out of teenagers who are necking in cars at the middle of the night.;)

Scaring the crap out of muggers. Guy tells you to hand over your wallet, pull that thing out....

"WOAH! You crazy man, don't come near me with that! Here's my money! Here's the gun....POLICE!!!! He pulled out toenail clippers on me, dog!"

15. David G. macrumors 65816

I lol'ed so hard. And since this question has been answered fully... nice Harry Potter books on your bookshelf.:p