Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I was playing with the screen angle on my new MBP (seeing how far back it would go) and I saw two things towards the bottom of the screen panel (on the black part around the screen. They look like possibly sensors, and I thought maybe they are the ambient light sensors for the keyboard? What do you guys think?

They are about 1 centimeter long and located in line with the bottom of the "MacBook Pro" label. They are also in line with the F2 and F11 keys.

Attachments

• ProPic.jpg
    ProPic.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 190

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Looking at a real one instead of a photoshopped picture on Apple's website I don't see anything there.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Looking at a real one instead of a photoshopped picture on Apple's website I don't see anything there.

Really? With the screen on, tilt it back all the way... I asked my fiance and he sees them on mine too, so I don't think I am crazy. I am assuming they are the ambient light sensors, but wasn't entirely sure.

samwich

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
I don't see anything either, and I'm pretty sure your ambient light sensor is up near the camera. Just put your hand in front of the camera and watch the display dim.

sselemit

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
I was playing with the screen angle on my new MBP (seeing how far back it would go) and I saw two things towards the bottom of the screen panel (on the black part around the screen. They look like possibly sensors, and I thought maybe they are the ambient light sensors for the keyboard? What do you guys think?

They are about 1 centimeter long and located in line with the bottom of the "MacBook Pro" label. They are also in line with the F2 and F11 keys.

i believe those are light sensors for backlit keyboard.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
i believe those are light sensors for backlit keyboard.

I don't think those the sensors, unless there's more than one.

Try putting your palm over your iSight - your screen will dim/keyboard will light up, so that's where the sensor is.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007

Try putting your palm over your iSight - your screen will dim/keyboard will light up, so that's where the sensor is.

Interesting to note that they've been moved from under the speakers (presumably) in the older MBPs...it is always a pain to be typing and have the brightness changing because of the shadows cast by your hand.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Really? With the screen on, tilt it back all the way... I asked my fiance and he sees them on mine too, so I don't think I am crazy. I am assuming they are the ambient light sensors, but wasn't entirely sure.

There's nothing there but glass. The sensor is up by the iSight camera.

sselemit

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008

check this video out. Fast forward to around 3:05 mark. you'll see how the lady covers the bottom part of the screen with her arm and the keyboard lits up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.