What are things new iPhone users should know about their device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emacna1, Jun 19, 2012.

1. emacna1 macrumors regular

I'm just wondering what general tips you guys have. This is my first iPhone and I think it would be helpful to get a running list of things new users should know. The only advice I got from my friend was that every night he double taps home and closes out all applications.

What other tips do you guys have?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^
    Actually no need to follow your friend's advice above :)

3. kingdLo macrumors 6502

4. emacna1 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? I remember when I went to the Apple store with him the Genius told him to clear out all the applications if the phone is running slowly. Is that not true?

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

In an ideal world, you wouldn't have to close open applications in iOS. However, applications are not written perfectly & may turn into a "run-away" app.

I had MapQuest open in the background (although navigation was ended & no actions being performed in the app) and my battery dropped 10% within an hour in standby. I quit the app and the next hour my battery only dropped 2%. It doesn't happen often, but stuff like that does happen.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not, and yes, Apple geniuses seem to have a problem with suggesting that. You really only need to do that if a specific app is acting up. Like, if Facebook freezes and won't load new posts, force-quit just it. That's really the only time you need that function. Never waste time closing them all at once.

Other tid-bits for new people:

1) After double-clicking to get that tray, swipe it right once to get playback controls and rotation lock. Swipe it again to see volume.

2) The physical volume buttons control what you're currently doing. So feel free to turn Angry Birds down while playing...it won't change your ring-tone volume. Likewise, you can change Siri's volume while using it and it won't change how loud your game will be when you go back to it.

3) Press 'Home' and the 'Power' button together to take a screenshot. HOLD them together for 10 seconds to do a hard reset if your phone completely locks up. (Rare, but worth knowing.)

4) Set up iCloud and set it to backup your phone over the air. Then, as a separate step, plug into iTunes and set your phone to sync over wifi. Those are 2 different things and they're both worth doing.

5) Actually go through your 'Notification' settings and understand how they work ... Actually, I take it back. Go through ALL the settings the phone offers and read through them once. This will take 30 minutes but its the single greatest thing you can do for yourself. I have had so many people say "I didn't know you could do that!" about things that are clearly spelled out in the settings.