Resolved What are things specific to how a Quad G5 looks?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 13, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey everyone, quick clarifying question here:

A seller in my area has a PMG5, and they said it's high-end but didn't list the specs. I asked for the specs and they said that they would get back to me about it. (since the G5 is currently stored away) They got back to me with a picture of the specs that you can see at the bottom edge of the G5 when you remove the metal door. However, the picture is too blurry for me to be able to see, so I cannot tell what its specs are. I am hoping it's a Quad G5, but the picture does not show the processors...

So if I ask: "Is there only ONE plate over the processors that says 'G5'", is it correct that only the Quad-core models have a single plate? If in case I can never get a clear picture of the specs, I want to find out that way if it's a Quad-core model. I am assuming the Quad-core model is the one with only one 'G5' plate over the processors, but I want to make sure before I drive there.

Hmm... I think I can make out TWO ethernet IDs on the label. If so, it must have dual ethernet ports. Does that mean it's a Quad-core, or do the 2.5 & 2.7Ghz dual models also have two ethernet ports? I definitely would not want either one of the 2.5 or 2.7 dual models xD

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The late '05 2.0 and 2.3 DC also have a single large plate over the processor, two ethernet ports, 3 USBs on the back, the tell-tale white Airport/Bluetooth antenna on the back, and basically indistinguishable from the Quad in casual examination.

The only sure-fire way I know to ID a Quad on physical examination is to check the gray label at the bottom of the case...or pull the front fan assembly and check to see whether it's liquid cooled or air cooled.

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Thanks for your response, bunnspecial. The seller has since then updated me on the specifications and it is indeed a quad-core G5. If all goes well, I'll have a nice upgrade. :)

4. HereBeMonsters macrumors 6502

HereBeMonsters

Will all quad G5s have liquid cooling system issues, or does it not happen to all of them?

5. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Not all quads have cooling issues, mine does not have it yet.

6. HereBeMonsters macrumors 6502

HereBeMonsters

I note you say "yet", however! :D

7. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I am hoping that it would last me a lot longer until the cooling system fails. If it is air-cooled I would assume that it would not, but it is liquid cooled. There are lots of variables to fail due to age, like o-rings for one.

8. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

The ones that were in immediate danger of the coolant issue have likely blown up and have either been fixed or junked.

That isn't to say that it will never fail. It just means that what you're seeing is more than likely not one of those that had the issue.

9. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Is it rather--I don't know--unlikely for a quads' LCS to fail? I am sure it has a greater chance of working than failing, right? I mean, these aren't just more reliable than the ones in the 2.5 and 2.7Ghz dual G5s; aren't they reliable in general? Or is it all relative?

10. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

As what Mystic has posted above, if it will fail, it had failed earlier. If it survives up to this time without failing there is a good chance that it would last without issues pertaining to the liquid cooling system.

11. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Ah, yes, that's very true. Most things are like that. If a hard drive has lasted over 5 years, it's probably going to be fine for a long time after... however, it can also be the opposite, with abrupt discontinuation. I didn't think of using that logic for the LCS on the G5s. I guess I just know nothing about them. xD

12. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

There are very few that do know, mainly because they weren't out for super long before being replaced by the Mac Pro. You have to remember they were the last G5 towers ever made.

13. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, I am aware that the quads were released in 2005 and spent only a short amount of time on the shelves. Apple's move to Intel was great for many reasons, but it's a shame what happened with the quad.

Anyway, picking a quad up today!

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I hope it is a great machine for you!

15. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

By the way, just to show the cosmetic similarities, here's what the inside of my Dual Core G5 looks like-notice that it does indeed have the same large plate covering the processor as the quads have. If I were to remove the front fans(which I didn't do, as it was on at the time) you would see that it was air cooled, but that's the most noticeable difference.

Attached Files:

16. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Ah yes, I see. I looked it up after posting this and realized it. However, the seller did notify me that it's a Quad G5, and I picked it up today! $60, and it came with a small Dell Ultrasharp monitor and Apple keyboard.

----------

I just got it in the door. It's late, so I cannot do everything tonight. However, I did notice that the fans are blasting while it's idle. I wonder if I need to do a fan calibration... It needs a cleaning too, and this fan-cooled Nvidia card adds to the noise. I did notice that the fans in front of the processors are not spinning; I don't know whether or not that's normal.

17. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'd say for $60 with all that stuff, you got a heck of a deal!

I don't have any experience with water cooled G5s, but I know that on both of my air cooled ones the front fans are always spinning at least some. They rev up when I really start cranking on them, but even idling both fans will spin some.

Most of the fan-cooled Nvidia cards I've used are relatively quiet and don't add appreciably to the noise of the computer. I think you would benefit from giving it a full break-down, cleaning, and repaste. You're lucky to get one of the higher end cards in your computer also!

18. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, I was really excited about this! I just made a new thread regarding it; Hmm... is it possible to oil the GPUs fan itself, besides dusting it? I gotta fiddle with this tomorrow though; no time now.

19. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've seen it suggested to peel back the sticker on the fan and put a small amount of white lithium grease on the bearing. I'd steer clear of oil, as you're likely to find it in places where you didn't intend for it to be(and don't want it).

I have 6800 Ultra in my 1.8 Single, which looks a lot like your card and I suspect is likely very similar. It was no trouble to take apart, repaste, and do a general cleaning on. Mine is almost silent. Just don't do what I did, and forget to reconnect the fan after taking apart for cleaning:rolleyes: . I was wracking my brain trying to figure out why I was getting idle GPU temperature of 110ºC and the system fans running full blast when I realized my mistake. Fortunately, I caught it before doing an permanent damage.

As for your front fans, you might try pulling them out and reseating them. I doubt this will make a difference, but it's easy and non-invasive to do. The(unlikely) possibility is always there that the connector just isn't seated correctly.

20. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, I reseated them and they are fine now. I have a new issue with this Mac, though. (in forum post about "Issue with PowerMac G5 Quad".