What are those apps called?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Achiever, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I have been watching some various screencasts for Apple apps recently (some on YouTube, some on ScreenCast Online, etc.) and I was wondering if anyone knows what app is the one where every time the mouse is clicked, it emits a ring-like circle over the cursor. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Also, for those who have watched Don MacAllister's Screencasts, what app does he use as a launcher? Whenever he wants to launch an app, he seems to have some drop windoew come down from the middle of his Menu Bar (it's clearly not Spotlight) and it allows him to launch the app. I also thought that was cool. Can anyone place this app for me? Thanks.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

It's Launchbar, and IMHO a must-have utility

3. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Thank you. I figured it was either that, Quicksilver or Butler, but wasn't sure which. I have generally managed to maintain with Spotlight.

Anyone know what the app is that makes a ring around the cursor when the mouse is clicked?? I've seen it enough that it must be fairly popular.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

It might be OmniDazzle

5. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

I checked out OmniDazzle, and while it does have mouse pointer effects, it is not the app I was looking for.

I found a YouTube tutorial whereby the guy giving the presentation seemed to have it. If anyone recognizes the app when they see this, please list it here. I will also try to post on YouTube to get it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoDwlG-67-0

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

7. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Yeah, thanks for doing the search. I had seen two of these and since tried the third. Unfortunately, none of these are it. Any other thoughts?

8. DracosIgnis macrumors newbie

Achiever,

I believe what you're looking for is actually being generated by the screen capture software itself. I installed 'Screenium' as mentioned being used in creating his YouTube videos and while creating a test video myself, I noticed the same rings appearing. Hope that helps in your quest...

Mike

9. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I use mouse locator. Love it. Mostly because i can make my own locators...enjoy.

Brian

10. subq macrumors member

those effects are done in the screencast software, screenflow in the case of that youtube video